Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Client 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwgstl

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2002
US
I am having problems trying to connect a DOS session to connect to an NT domain. I am using the Network Clinet off the NT 4 CD. I have everything setup correctly I think. However when netbind trys to run it doesn't work, causing everything else to fail. Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you post the FIRST error that appears.

Usually the problem is the NIC (Network card) drivers are wrong. Microsoft hasn't updated the drives for many years, you may have to put the later (or correct) drivers in for your NIC.

What sort of NIC are you using? New Zealand, a great place to visit.

I'm using a Token Ring PCI Card, and have the correct NDIS drivers. The card appears to be registering correctly, just once I get past the adapter, the Netbind, TCPTSR, and tinyrfc services won't start.

A couple of suggestions.

Check the PATH in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, I know it sounds too basic but I've seen it happen.

Check the PROTOCOL.INI for any 'funny' IRQ, I/O settings and make sure your NDIS driver name is in there.

Add /DYNAMIC to the NET INITIALIZE line of the AUTOEXEC.BAT

New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Thanks, I added your suggestions, and am still getting a message that IPX or NETBIOS must be installed before network services can be started. Any ideas?

I have just been playing with the MS Client 3.0, wouldn't you know it worked ok.

When your workstation boots, do you get a 'command completed successfully' when it loads the drivers for your NIC??

I didn't enter a domain name on mine, just my username and password and also setup a static IP address, subnet mask and gateway. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

I do get the command completed successfully, however I do have a domain name specified, as well as username, and IP info. Maybe I'll try it without the Domain name. Thanks.

What protocols do you actually need?

You say the IPX and NETBIOS don't bind, I only used IP. Make sure you entered the IP address (and subnet) with spaces not dots ie enter 192 168 1 10 not 192.168.1.10
New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back