Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Card Setup Hepl

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerBrian

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
Sorry i know this is probebrly a bit of a noob question,
however you seem to provide more sensible answers in here rather than some other forums....

Some help please - what am i doing wrong?

Just set up a new computer , win XP proffesional - a gigabyte motherboard with an onboard gigabyte lan ...

Previously I used a netgear network card to connect to my cable modem.

My problem is that when I connect the etehrnet cable to the new gigabyte ethernet socket and boot up , i cannot connect to the net because it just assigns itself a private IP address.

however If i plonk the old netgear card back inand connect the modem to that it works fine.

So then i thought.... ok the new onboard nic obviously needs to be configured- so i open up the properties of the nic and click on propeties of TCP/IP - its currently assigned to obtain IP address automatically.
So then I thought ok, Il get the IP address info from the other card .
I take down the Ip address, default gateway and dns servers and put them in - wasnt sure about the subnet mask so i tried it first with the same as the other settings and then with a different number.....reboot and see if it works....
Still no joy - All i get when i open up the Internet explorer is a DNS SHock error -

What am i doing wrong and how can i resolve it?

Thankyou for the help....

So far you have no hint that the onboard NIC works at all.

I would start by manually configuring it for 10/half as that is the most basic ethernet configuration.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I kinda agree with jimbopalmer, maybe this NIC you have doesnt even work at all. Did you try pinging yourself? (ie: localhost) or such. if the DNS features are wrong i suggest you try a different method.

It could be that your mother board isnt capatable with this new nic?

motherboard is compatiable - this is an onboard nic - all the drivers are loaded.

I ran IP config - it just showed me that i had a private IP address -
I ran the ping command,
I could ping my self - however again the problem was that it was pinging the address that it had assigned me which was a private IP address.

I had changed the iP settings on the nic from assigned IP to manually configured.entered all the info that i had got from the PCI network card - yet still no joy to connect to the web.

The only difference in the status- support - details , section of the onboard nic is that it is not showing dhcp server -
yet when i change over the network cable to my pci network card , its fine.....

Am I right in thinking that the cable provider assigns a DHCP address based on the MAC address of the Cable Modem. Normally this is what is shown when you type IPCONFIG /ALL.

Mine has always worked this way.

just to let you know i solved it and it was really simple - something quite dumb that i should have tried straight off...
I only needed to reboot my modem and then my computer and all was fine.....

Whereas before all i had done was reboot the machine - shows you how simple it was.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back