Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network can't see Win2000 shared folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhodgson

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
GB
Dear All

I've got a network of 4 computers happily working together with mixture of Win98 and WinME machines.

I'm trying to add a Win 2000 prof machine to the network and I got two problems

1) Although the Win2000 machine can see all the other computers and access their folders and files, other users can only see the Win2000 machine, but not its shared folders (ie it appears in the network neighbourhood of the other machines, but clicking on it doesn't open up any folders)

2) The Win2000 machine has a ADSL link to the net. When it's connected the whole network grinds to a halt.

The Win2000 machine is set up with a NETBEUI connection for the network, and an tCP/IP connection to the internet. I've tried adjusting all the permissions, etc I can think of. Has anyone got any suggestions about where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for your help

John Hodgson

Do the other users have accounts on the Win2k machine.
If they do not have user accounts on the local Win2k machine they will not be able to access any shares

Another problem may be that the Windows 2000 machine was formatted using the NTFS File System. I don't think they are able to access files that have NTFS enabled.

**Someone please correct me if that is wrong.
Eddie Martin
Network Support Technician
eddie@digitechcomputer.com

NTFS formating should not be a problem unless you try to put the NTFS formatted drive in the 9x client machine as a slaved drive.

I run a 2k prof pc at work and have a shared folder containing app installs that 9x clients can get to all the time. What are the share permissions set for on the win2k shared folder? do you have the "everyone" with at least read access? Anything set to "Deny"? ---------------------------------------
A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified Proffesional
---------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back