Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network cable unplugged XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm trying to share cable modem service with 2 computers. The Linksys (1) is connected to my cable modem service. The 3 Com card (2) goes to one satellite computer. Whatever I have done, changing cables, different cards, swapping MB slots,,,,, still gets the network cable unpluged result in the 2nd card. If I swap the cables, then 2 works fine and I get the unplugged message on 1. It's as if XP will only allow one card at a time to function? When I run the network setup wizard, it tells me that the 2 card is disconnected.

maybe you have a bad cable. Remove the cable that is connected to two and try a different one.

If you want to directly connect 2 PC's you have to use a crossover cable. Tale a look at the pinouts of the 2 cables - I think one of them is a crossover cable and the other one is straight through. For a Ethernet cable the important pins are:
1-1
2-2
3-3
6-6
for a straight through cable and
1-3
2-6
3-1
6-2
for a crossover cable.

Hans

It is also important to use a twisted pair for the signal pins 3 & 6, normally green & white/green.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back