Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Browsing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedAdmin

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2002
US
Greetings all,

recently deployed all new servers to our branch offices, sporting Windows 2000 Server. We've got DHCP, DNS and WINS running smoothly for our mix of Win98, Win98SE, Win2kPro and WinXP Pro boxes.

Seems that the XP boxes have no trouble at all browsing the network or accessing any client machine. However, Win2kPro and Win9x boxes intermittently are unable to browse the network (issue 1).
On the Win9x boxes, I get the following error message:

Unable to browse the network. This request is not
accepted by the network. Try again later.

Secondly, when the Win9x boxes ARE able to browse the network, they are unable to see the available shares on the Win2k and WinXP boxes (issue 2).
I've done a lot of reading on Google, but to no avail as of yet. Was hoping that while I continue my research that maybe someone here had an idea as to what could be wrong.

Thanks,
TwistedAdmin

Have the w9x machines logging onto the domain in Workgroup Name Domain Name? Have the W2K machines joined the domain? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"The definition of the individual was: a multitude of one million divided by one million."
Arthur Koestler (1905-83); Hungarian-born British author.

The Win9x boxes are configured to log into an NT Domain.

The Win2k and XP boxes have successfully joined the domain and are listed in AD.

Regards,
John

Is browsing turned off on the w2k machines in the services and registry so it's always looking at the server? Check you log files for browser messages. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"The definition of the individual was: a multitude of one million divided by one million."
Arthur Koestler (1905-83); Hungarian-born British author.

Search the client machines event logs to see if there are errors regarding the browser master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back