Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network browsing problems in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRaven

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2005
CA
We have a small network at the house 4-5 systems are on the lan at any given time and I have noticed some odd activity I would like to resolve.

One: I can not hit anyones desktop, I used to be able to but for some reason I no longer can.

Two: I can not get any deeper than three file folders in the directories I can access.

Three: When I choose to browse the network it can take up to a full min to show the connected systems.

Some spec's need more just ask.

Our network is a 10/100 ethernet system, File sharing is turned on including the change and modify files options. I'm totally lost as to what has changed or where to look next.

Please help.

Richard Morton
Lizard Tree Home of Chameleon Springs

Are youre systems part of a Domain or workgroup? What service packs are they running?

This Registry Fix might improve your connection speed a bit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Remote Computer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key :{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} and delete it.

This is key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you like you may want to export the exact branch so that you can restore the key if necessary.

Some helpful sites.

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Issue One: I assume by "hit" you mean ping.
. Check that the results of an ipconfig /all show reasonable settings for your IP, Subnet mask and Gateway address;

. Other than that this is a firewall issue. For any formal firewall, including the native XP SP2 firewall, be certain you have enabled exceptions for ICMP traffic.

. Be on the lookout for "hidden" firewall components. Antivirus software often includes one; PC-Illan for example, is notorious for this behavior. VPN client software can add a hidden firewall component; CISCO VPN client is notorious for this behavior.

Issue Two: folder depth

Add shares higher in the folder tree. The total length of the expanded path and filename cannot exceed 255 characters. So create new shares deeper in the folder path.

Issue Three: Network Neighborhood populates slowly.

Linney made the traditional fix suggestion: remove the default search for scheduled tasks. You should also check Event Viewer to see if there are "Browser wars" occuring where elections are being repeatedly held for Browser Master status.

Well just to clear things up a bit when I sait hit I ment that I used to have free and totall access to any and all files and folders on any computer connceted to my Lan. Now I can only hit or open user vreated folders as long as they are not as sub folder created by the Windows Install. Now I know it's not an SP2 issue I have tested that thought with a non SP2 system. And it is not my system that this is happening on some how XP seems to have totally restricded access and while it may be a good measure for the average PNP user I would rather a choice in having it our not. I'll try the regestery thing anyother thoughts as where to look possibley in the regestry?

Richard Morton
Lizard Tree Home of Chameleon Springs

Depending on the folder involved, and most importantly, the settings under Control Panel, Folder Options, View, (the last or nearly last entry, "Use simple file sharing (recommended)".

It would be better for all XP Pro workstations to have this disabled or unchecked. See:

This does create some issues, but it resolves the underlying security issues that would prevent folder access as you describe. See my notes here for common issues once simple file sharing is disabled:

thread779-796583
And Ron Lowe and Steve Winograd's terrific note:
Now before all the clicking and changing as needed occurs, print out the articles below and see where you are getting tripped up in folder permissions:

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back