Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network browser Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiapexman

Technical User
Sep 12, 2003
US
I have a windows 2000 domain with about 22 machines and 25 licenses. Strange thing has happen. Up until recently all machines logged into the domain were visible to all computers on the domain, but now one is hidden, still connected, but hidden. I can type its network address in (ie \\machine) and browse all of it's shared folders but I can't browse to it through windows network browser. It has been visible for the past six months then all of a sudden today I can't find it with out typing in its address. Is this a DNS problem?

When you say "visible" I assume you are talking about it being visible in "My Network Places". If so, this list is maintained by your WINS server (or local NetBIOS broadcasts), not DNS. Check that this client is still registering with your WINS server. Check your WINS server for any problems. Is this client on a different subnet, from the rest of your clients?

MikeL

I am not using the wins server. Every thing is registered with the DNS server on a windows domain not workgroup. Any other suggestions?

From the hidden machine, what does ipconfig /all show? Are you using dhcp?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

....well i dont know if this can help but how about if the user used the command "net config server /hidden:yes

Glen: ipconfig looks normal. This machine has a static IP.
DgtLgk: noone uses this machine other than network storage. But I'll have to give that command a try.

Well mysteriously, the machine began showing up in everyones network browser late yesterday evening. Go Figure. Thanks for your help everybody.

Check your log files. This will happen again, unless somebody did it on purpose, as DgtlLgk suggested. Something has changed.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

If you don't have a WINS server it's a Master Browser issue. It can take serveral hours for computers to register with the Master Browser, especially if the Master Browser is moving around because of people rebooting.. It's not a critical issue and can just be left alone... but if it's REALLY bugging you, check out this FAQ and it will help you fix it:

Master Browser Issues:

faq96-3728

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Reddlefty-

I am having similar problems, and they are definitely due to master browser issues. I reviewed the events log on the problematic machines and they all listed browser service conflicts...

anyways, that FAQ brings to point the Browser Monitor tool in win2k...i cannot find it. u know where it is

-Jamieson

The FAQ mentions the W2K Resource Kit. If you have an MSDN Subscription, you can find it in there. Even if you only have the Win NT 4.0 Resource Kit, you can use the DOS version called Browser Monitor. The commands are manual, but you can still find the master browsers with it.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back