Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Boot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz0fBaud

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hey guys right now I'm using a machine with win2k server and Remote Installation Services to install a windows xp operating system.

These current systems do not have a floppy drive. I do however have a PXE enabled LAN card which is how I get everything to work.

These are machines that can barely handle winxp and I was wondering since they're getting old if there was a way, if the local hard drive fails, to boot from a server stored image? Like a remote hard drive just in case?

Thanks for any help

TS would require that the workstation was already booted to Windows.

The question is how to allow a remote boot from a central image.

Thanks guys, all of your posts have been helpful, but does anyone know a freeware 3rd party for something like this in the win2k server enviornment?

I have been exploring RIS integrated with 2003 Server, but I was wondering if you are do a freash install to the W2k machines or an Upgrade. What are your thoughts on this. I personally like doing a clean install but having to deploy Windows XP to over 3,000 computers ( eventually ) an upgrade my be better due to the fact that trying to save users files/setting could be a big pain.

Let me know how you like RIS and/or if you are using to upgrade the OS or do a clean install?

Thank You

- Dom

It is not an issue of RIS or other deployment methods, it is a question of how substantially similar are the machines.

In your circumstance the "unattended installation" method is advised.

There is a wonderful web site that explains in detail how to create an unattended image:
With 3,000 machines I suggest you join the site (it is free) and read the sticky notes in the Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back