Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Boot disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

linzwhittles

Technical User
Jul 7, 2000
GB
How do i create a Network boot disk so i can install Windows 98 from a network share?

I have a laptop, that needs Windows 98 reinstalling it uses a PCMCIA CDROM so this doesn't work until it has been detected. I only have use of the foppy drive.

Any ideas on how i can install Windows 98 from CD or Network share, i would be grateful.

Thanks in Advance

Lindsey

Depends on filesystem type and DOS tools available.
On those I've fought the battle with, DOS, DOS network, copy setup and /win98 stuff across, install from HD.
Have used alternative of DOS, cd drivers, copy stuff to HD and install.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi,
i have used a panasonic pcmcia cdrom drive to restore a laptop with a ghost image on a cd. i just used the bootable diskette that came with the drive. what is the brand of your pcmcia cd drive ?

If you create a boot disk from another Windows 98 computer, using the Wizard in Add/Remove Programs, it should load the PCMCIA card services and detect the CD-ROM.

To create a network boot disk is a bit more complex; you'd have to load the card services drivers from the config.sys and install a TCP/IP stack before you could load the NIC drivers. You only need the card services if the NIC is a PCMCIA card (it is in most laptops I've ever worked on!).

euclid's idea of keeping a ghost image and a boot disk is excellent advice :)

If i create a boot disk from another Win 98 computer, does it have to be of the same make to load the PCMCIA card services?

No. It creates a generic set of drivers that I have found will boot just about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back