Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Backup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny456

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
I receive the following error when trying up backup a database(apx 142MB) across my network(W2K).The backup seems to complete and will restore but always produces error messages. Running SS2000 SP2.

Anyone seen this before?

18210 :
BackupDiskFile::RequestDurableMedia: failure on backup device '\\dev01\SqlBackup\dbname_db_200211151551.BAK'.
Operating system error 64(The specified network name is no longer available.).

The error message indicates that Win 2K is generating the error. It is likely that an OS parameter can be set that will eliminate the problem. The problem appears frequently in the newsgroups but satisfactory answers haven't been given. At least, I've not found any.

Here are some links to Microsoft articles that address related problems. I don't know if they will be of any help.

I'll be interested in finding an answer because we are in the process of upgrading our OS to WIN 2000 Server and want to know if there will be any issues. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Have you tried using a mapped drive instead of a UNC? Unless you are and it still produces that message.. hmm.

Maybe a sniffer will show something. Sounds like the target server is being shutdown or you have some network problems that are causing connection-loss.
Have you tried backing up to a local drive, then performing a copy of this file (so you have it in two places)? That's probably safer anyhow. If you have the bad luck to lose your network connection AND the backup hasn't completed, AND the SQL Server subsequently fails before you catch this, you don't want to find out the backup is bad or not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back