Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiong

Programmer
Feb 13, 2003
Has anyone had any good sucess/experience with a network analyzer? I'm looking for two aspects, one for security analysis, and another to help with some documentation and infrastructure layout/diagram.

I use nessus. Only "issue" is that you have to install it on a linux/unix computer. It has a nice (MS)Windows GUI though.
You also have Microsofts "Baseline security analyser", and a bunch of other scanners.

I found a list here:

Visio is great for network diagrams, and have some plugins that does it automatically, but it costs.

Its a command line function for *nix that scans machines for open ports. Its got a lot of other functions as well.

Its the windows port for nmap

Its a great packet sniffer for both windows and nix.

Nessus is a great tool as well.

PS - All this stuff is free! ________________________________________
Check out

Just to clear things up a bit, and almost not to be picky.
Nessus uses nmap as a port scanner, and then analyses open ports to find vulnerabilities/exploits/bugs/etc.
Nessus is not ported to windows, but have a very good windows gui. So you could say.. if you have Nessus working, you don't really need nmap... exept from the fact that it is a great commandline port scanner that also works on windows.
Maybe there is gui's. I don't know.

nmap can be used in combination with nessus to provide a list of hosts that meet certain criteria to optimize scanning.

For example, you don't need to scan a server without a webserver for IIS vulnerabilities. Craig

Hi, me again...

nmap IS used BY nessus to provide a list of hosts that meet certain criteria to optimize scanning.

The Nessus Server is installed on *nix machines. It will analyze Windows machines. The GUI for windows is just for that reason. I have taken down many Winblows machines using Nessus (non production environment of course) only beause I heard it is possible. Visit

Howdy, guys,

I use hfnetchkLT from Shavlik... what do you think about it?

DLing it right now to try it out. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done. Looks promising for windows networks anyway. We'll see though. ________________________________________
Check out

Well, its a nice (free) tool for scanning windows machines for patch status and deploying new patches, but that's about it. I might end up using it, but it is in no way a port scanner like those apps previously mentioned. ________________________________________
Check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back