Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Address Translator error code 32003

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormcrowe

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
2000 pro keeps locking up at random. Sometimes as much as 10 times per day! It always displays the same error in the event log:

"The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code."

The data shown is : 0000: 1f 00 00 00
The event code is : 32003

This machine is the host on a home network, with both machines running win 2k pro. ICS is enabled.

The other machine does not have this problem. Nor did this problem occur with win 98 SE on the same 2 machines. Any ideas on how to fix this or at least where to start looking. This is a home based network used only to allow multiple internet access and do some gaming over the lan.

Thanks

stormcrowe,

I need more info like:

Ok, you have 2 Win2k Pro boxes right?
You're using a Linksys DSL/Cable router?
Are both Win2k boxes setup to obtain an IP address from a DHCP Server, or do they have "Static" addresses?

yes, there are 2 win 2k pro machines. They are linked with Realtek lan cards via cross over cable.

"Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC"

The internet connection is an external dial up modem (hayes accura 33.6)

The host is set to an address of 192.168.0.1 with subnet of 255.255.255.0. The other machine is set to 192.168.0.2, same subnet mask.

The connections work fine both on the internet and the lan.

The "host" computer just locks up and it doesn't matter if the lan or internet connections are present or not. It has locked up during word processing and other 'stand alone' apps.

The internet connection on the host machine is set to obtain an address automatically.

stormcrowe,

I've never worked with the configuration you have, the cross-over cable type, that is...but i suspect that the addresses; 192.168.0.1, AND .2 probably are in use by other devices. I know, it's sounds weird, and I could be wrong, but try this:

1.) With your connection to the Internet opened up,
2.) Open a DOS box, (Start, then Run, type "cmd", and hit enter)
3.) Type:

ping -a 192.168.0.1

and hit enter. Try the other address, too:

ping -a 192.168.0.2

The response should be the NAME of your Win2k boxes, if it isn't, you may need to use a Firewall software to isolate these VERY common IP adresses to your Internal Network.

Ok, maybe this doesn't directly address your locking up problem, but it does strike me as a possible problem anyway!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back