Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network access to an OLAP server over a LAN/WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwrobe1

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
US
I have built a cube that has all the appropriate info and aggregations in it in MS OLAP Services. It works just fine within my offices local domain, but NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can access it from the outside. I've consulted the documentation to no avail set up cube roles and database roles CORRECTLY. Trust relationships have also been set to the appropriate domains. Servers are MS NT 4.0, workstations are either WIN 2000 or NT 4.0.

Any suggestions?

Which security are you using? -NT Only or NT/SQL?

How are they trying to connect i.e. which viewing software?

Fi.

:)

They are connecting using an OLAP front-end called ProClarity 3

I've had similar problems because NT4 cannot delegate the security to another server.

I've got around it by using an EI font end (Active Web Analyst in my case) and giving the IIS server a specific NT account which has the correct rights. This means that I need the front end to handle the security within the cube. The font end does do that, but for a belt and braces approach I have set up several web sites, each looking at an individual cube. I then have an asp page for them to log in to, then dependant on thier login, they are redirected to the site for the correct cube, and then the IIS server connects to the cube with a specific NT user on my own domain. (In IIS properties, diable NT challenge response, and use Anonymous Access, with the NT user you created.)

I believe you can do it with all WIn2000 and Kerebos ticket delegation, but we're not all WIN2000, so this was the only way it would work.

Hope it helps.

Fi.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back