Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Access but not able to Browse Internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakram8

Technical User
Feb 29, 2004
US
I have a Win2k network with one XP machine stubbornly refusing to browse the internet--the other 15 are having no problems. I am able to access all internal network resources on this machine (Exchange etc.) but no browsing the internet.

I did a clean install of XP on the afflicted computer, but it still gave me a page cannot be displayed error, followed by Internet Explorer could not open the search page. I tried typing in the DNS server but that did not help.

I tested with netdiag to see if I was having a winsock problem but the machine passed.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed?
thanks,
debbie.

I would still run the utility discussed in faq779-4625

I neglected to mention I also ran the utility with no success. Any other advice?
thanks.

Are you using a proxy server? Check the proxy server settings in Internet Options, Connection Tab, Lan Settings button.

No proxy server, and no I am not using ICS.

I have your basic win2k network and it's just this one computer that suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. The pc had been upgraded from win2k pro to XP about 2 months ago and was functioning well until last Friday. After trying to diagnosis the problem without success, I decided to do a clean install on the operating system so I could start from a clean slate, but this appeared to have no impact on the problem.

I appreciate everyone's input, any other ideas?
thanks,
debbie.

OK, how is your LAN connected to the internet? - by a router/firewall appliance? Is there any chance that device is set to block that machine's IP address?

It's connected through a router, and I just double checked that the machine's ip is not being blocked via the router.

Do an Ipconfig /all and post the results here.

Here's the ipconfig/all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . : z_smith
Primary Dns Suffix. . . . . . . : sbfdomain.local
Node Type. . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . : sbfdomain.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix : sbfdomain.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . : Intel<R> PRO/100 VM Network
Physical Address. . . . . . . . : 00-02-A5-CB-25-65
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.80
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DNS Server. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 12, 2004 10:35:48 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, April 20, 2004 10:35:48 PM

You ipconfig seems fine.
Replace the network adapter would be the next step.

I replaced the network adapter this evening with no luck. The machine still refuses to connect. It's like the browser isn't even trying. Since I installed a new adapter, it has a new ip address, so does that mean I have a DNS problem on the server?

I double checked my range of available addresses and they are 10.0.0.50-10.0.0.150. I don't have more than 20 machines on my network (even with the occasionally connected laptop) and we have about 10 printers on there as well. I feel like I must be missing something obvious?

Thank you so much for your time on this.
debbie.

A new IP address would be "normal."

When you said originally you tested with netdiag, I assume you followed:
If this testing shows clean results, it becomes puzzling indeed, as your DHCP client is working properly as the ipconfig results show.

Everything screams a hardware issue at this point. Try moving at the switch or router where the pc now connects to a different physical connection point. It is not unheard of for a port to go south. Test. If no joy, see if there is an autonegotiation issue by manually setting the adapter speed and duplex settings to 10-half and rebooting.

Yes those are the instructions that I originally followed for netdiag. I'm going to check the physical connections to today and see if it makes any difference.

thanks,
debbie.

I am experiencing the same problem and I have done all of the below with no luck.

One additional catch ....

I am able to connect to the internet/intranet through Netscape.

It's just not working with IE.

Any suggestions???

What exactly happens when you use IE - does IE exit, or does it give error messages, or simply say page not found, or ??

You might consider a complete run through of faq608-4650

Guys!!

great suggestions!
That FAQ with the ZIP did it...

I am extremly greatfull.

Keep up the good work!

Norm

mrh981,

A warm welcome to Tek-tips.

faq779-4625 has saved many from ripping their hair out.

Best,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back