Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware6, Can't get .exe to run in Login script

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillis

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2001
Hello,

Our system / user login scripts have been used exclusively to map drives. We are evaluating a desktop lock program that requires an executable to run during login. I've inserted the command #\\servername\volume\folder\**.exe and nothing happens. I've also tried just using the mapped drive letter\folder\etc...

Nothing I've tried even shows up in the "results" windows, error or otherwise. What am I missing here? I've tried putting it in the system login script and user. Again no change regardless.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, JGiles

a unc is preferred way of executing this

put a pause in the line before the .exe
and after so you can see what it's doing

i'm not a fan of system or user scripts

scripts should be in a container and then use if then's

users make it very awkward

It seems to me that the problem is related to the client, since that is where the login script runs from. Has nothing to do with the server version.

Agreed, User scripts suck. They are hard to manage. Do it at the container level if possible.

If you are evaluating software to lock the systems down, why not check out ZenWorks?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

post your script as well

the exe should work no probs

agree zen is the way but sometime the script is a necessary tool - good for delivering the new zen agent to shagged pc though

gillis,
Try putting an @ in the script before the UNC line instead of the #. I used this to distribute the blaster patch to all my W2K systems when they loged in. I found this tip on the support.novell.com somewhere but don't remember now.

HTH
Ken

Have you tried creating an App Object and doing a Force Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back