Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware to WIN2K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2000
US
Does anyone know if there is a migration tool to migrate Netware 4.x or 5.x to Win2000?

Yes, Microsoft has a utility to migrate NDS to Activie Directory and to migrate the file system.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is supposed to work on the same principle as the migration from the Netware Bindery to NT4.&nbsp;&nbsp;I haven't tried it, but I know it is available.<br><br>Reid Lauderman

You can migrate from NetWare to Windows 2000 using the Directory Services Migration Tool (DSMigrate) for NetWare, provided with Windows 2000.<br><br>Directory Services Migration Tool (DSMigrate) enables you to migrate user accounts, groups, files, and permissions from either an NDS or a bindery-based NetWare server to Windows 2000 Active Directory™ directory service. The tool also supports trial migrations, allowing you to model and test the migration before committing it to Active Directory.<br><br><br> <p>Rasindia<br><a href=mailto:rasindia@123india.com>rasindia@123india.com</a><br><a href= IndiaMalluEngineers</a><br>

General question:<br><br>If you were to perform the migration to Win2k, and it didn't work, would you be able to pull the Win2k machine off the network, and have your Netware box run the same as before the 'attempted' migrtation?<br><br>Thank you.

This is good news to hear. I'm uprading systems to W2KK. I started with 2 Novell Servers and on NT4.0 Server. We brought in a new 2000 Server and moved some of the custom programs off the NT box to the 2000. Then the NT box was upgraded to 2000. We then brought in a brand new Dell W32K server, and installed wins, dns and ad. My problem. Now the boss wants everything of the 2 Novell servers ported over to the new Dell server. Then he wants to take the big Novell server and turn it into W2K so we won't have any Novell left. It will be W2K in standard mode. I can't find this tool dsmigrate. From the sounds of it, my life would be so much easier. I've searched all over and can't find it. Ideas? Thanks. &quot;It is never too late to learn what is always necessary to know&quot;.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - 65AD); Roman philosopher and statesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back