Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Timesync Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sent1nel

Programmer
Sep 20, 2005
AU

Hey all,

I'm new to this Netware caper and this timesync is driving me absolutely insane. /me pulls out hair

All I want to do is simply have the entire network run the same time as the servers own internal clock. It can't be THAT hard?

Please help!

Tony.

LOL

Thanks for all the input, and yes I am new, I don't know much about Netware. This system is being used as a StandAlone fileserver.

It will NEVER be allowed access to the Internet due to SECURITY restrictions, it will NEVER be physically connected to the internet.

If anyone else has suggestions of how to sync, i'm all ears.

Cheers,

Tony.

So I take it that you are assuming that NetWare is as insecure as Windows. And that it is vulnerable to hacks and exploits. We guess what? Not even close. NetWare is secure.

I guess it would be one thing to sit your server out on the Internet and say 'come get me.' Yeah that would make me nervous. But realistically, all you need to do is allow NTP traffic on port 123 outbound, and allow responses incoming to previous requests. This is stateful filtering and your firewall may or may not do it. And if your completely paranoid, NetWare has the ability to setup packet filtering and you can get very specific as to what traffic you want to allow/disallow to your server. By default, filtering is disabled and not a lot of people know that it's built into the system.(You used to have to have Bordermanager on the server to do this)

Another option.. Does your router do NTP? You could use your router as the NTP time source, and it would handle any requests outbound. Your server wouldn't be any more exposed to the evil internet than it is now.

Lots of options.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back