Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Timesync Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sent1nel

Programmer
Sep 20, 2005
AU

Hey all,

I'm new to this Netware caper and this timesync is driving me absolutely insane. /me pulls out hair

All I want to do is simply have the entire network run the same time as the servers own internal clock. It can't be THAT hard?

Please help!

Tony.

1. Pick a server and set it as Single timeserver type
2. Set all other servers as Secondary type and point them at the primary
3. Enjoy time sync all the way to the desktop.

Settings are held in Sys:system/timesync.cfg

If you need example cfg files I can provide them.

FYI, NDS just hates it when you set the time backwards. I highly recommend that your Single be sync'ed to an external NTP server.

own internal clock - this is suicidal

follow above - there are tids on in

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies, i'll have a poke around in the timesync.cfg file.

Why is setting it to the CPU clock suicidal? Its the most stable clock i've seen yet and at least it doesn't go forwards and backwards as it sees fit anytime it wishes.

I'm in Melbourne Australia, What actually should I have in this timesync.cfg file? If you could post some examples it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony.

This is the current Timesync:

# TimeSync.Cfg is now updated automatically,
# when changes are made on the System Console

# TIMESYNC Configuration Parameters

Configured Sources = OFF
Directory Tree Mode = ON
Hardware Clock = ON
Polling Count = 3
Polling Interval = 600
Service Advertising = ON
Synchronization Radius = 2000
Type = SINGLE

# TIMESYNC Configured time source list

Thanks all,

Tony.

Sorry for the spam, I also should probably include when I reboot the server the time is correct?

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Tony.

The internal clock on even the best systems tend to drift over time. some worse than others. That's why it's better to set a configured source to an external NTP source.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hey Marvin,

Thanks for the reponse, herein lies the problem. The server does not have access to the internet.

Tony.

If thats the case then just let it use it's internal clock. The workstations should sync their time to the server when they login. This assumes you are using the Novell client and you have not disabled this feature on the client.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hey Marvin,

Yeah its set to take their time from the server when they log on. However HOW do I prevent the server from doing a rain dance with timesync? Do I simply disable timesync and it will then use its own internal clock as the time it propagates?

Cheers,

Tony.

No you don't disable timesync. It's very important that Timesync is enabled, running, and working correctly. What are you talking about when you say rain Dance.

Your timesync.cfg should work. Verify the client is setup right. Novell client properties->Advanced settings->Set Station Time = On.

Hey all,

The function to send the time to all workstations does work correctly. The issue I have is the time on the server always deviates from the time I originally set it to. When I re-boot it seems to be fine for a couple of hours before the deviation starts once again.

The server is not connected to the internet so I cannot use a NTP server to sync time. As mentioned previously the CPU clock on this system is fine, its always right.

So why is the time always continually changing? It seems like i'm losing time continuously? At first I thought I was always losing 2 hours, so I did a timeshift and its STILL losing time.

What files are used with relation to this? I notice there is a NTP.cfg file which contains entries uncommented for NTP servers (however this PC has no 'net access) - Is that causing a problem?

Sorry if there was any confusion with my earlier posts,

Thanks,

Tony.

If you don't have a way to sync it to an external source, you're going to just have to deal with it. There is nothing in the configs you will be able to change. When you don't have any other systems to sync from, and you don't have any external time sources, Netware will get it's time from the hardware clock. Again, a highly unreliable source despite what you say.

The one thing that I could recommend.. Go into the BIOS. make sure the time is set correctly there. Then boot to a DOS prompt, and see if it's set the same. It might not be and this could contribute to your problem. Set it correctly from DOS if necessary.. Then, boot the server and check the time from the console and verify that it's the same as what you did in the previous steps. Not an optimal solution but you don't have much other choice.

In the UK, some companies use a serial radio clock. This is connected (via the serial connection!!) to the Reference server which then syncs time out. Dunno if this system is available where you are but if it is it may be something worth considering?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

A BIOS clock that varies could be a sign that the battery on the motherboard is dead. You can replace it cheaply and it might help your problem.

Hey all,

Well I basically un-loaded timesync and it is actually holding the time I have set for it. Its obviously now using the BIOS clock as a reference point.

The time shifting a few minutes here and there is more than acceptable for the use of this server.

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Cheers,

Tony.

you CANNOT leave timesync unloaded
your as well holding a gun to you head

at server type time
you should have a big bit that says time is not in sync

Hmmm, no offence but you are new to Netware.... ;)

As Terry says, you cannot leave Timesync unloaded as it will eventually cause critical damage to your system. NDS timestamps changes and if each server is issuing changes with different times, very soon your NDS will not function and will break (in simple terms). Timesync is a fundamental part of NetWare.

You need to investigate getting synchronisation from an external source. If your company is behind a firewall, maybe they can open up the timesync port (port 123??) and then you can sync with an external source. But don't leave timesync unloaded whatever you do!

"It's true, its damn true!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back