Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware restore problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusWendel

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
SE
Hello all,

We run ArcServe 2000 on a Windows 2000 Server Compaq-machine and now I have noticed that the backups taken on our Netware 5.1 server are unreadable when I try to restore them. The files show up as 0kb in size on Netware or the correct size if I restore it to the local W2K mache, but they cannot be opend from either location.
I have seen in some posts here in the forum that Novell's Netware client may be the source of the problem. Is that correct? If so, what do CA have to say about it?

I really need to restore the data I have backuped, is there a way to get the it back from the tapes or is it totally corrupted?

/Marcus

When you tried to restore to the Win2000 box did you go into options and uncheck "Restore and Preserve Directory Attributes and Security Information"? I believe this is the option that if unchecked removes the Netware Header in the file and allows you to open the file in other OS's. Also do you have the Novell client on the ArcServe 2000 box and the Netware Agent on the Netware 5.1 box. I don't believe the Netware Agent or Client is required but the company I work for uses the same setup to backup Netware and NT boxes and we are able to restore to either OS.

I had the same problem, which I posted a couple of weeks ago. I finally got it resolved with some help from the tek-tip folks, one suggested that if your using the NWAgent to backup, you must restore using the NWAgent. Which restores every file intack, and can be opened. What I did, is I designated a novell server loaded the NWAgent, and used that server as a restore location for file that I backed up from a NW server. I have uninstalled the NW client on my Win2K backup server, and just using the Client Agents.

I've tried the option " "Restore and Preserve Directory Attributes and Security Information"? when restoring to the local my local Win2K arcserver. and that didn't work for me.

Hope this works for you as well. Good Day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I have tried unchecking the "Restore and Preserve Directory Attributes and Security Information" option, but not luck. I have the Netware client running on the W2K server and have tried with and without the agent on the Netware 5.1 server.

Any other suggestions on how to restore the data?

/Marcus

use NWagent to backup and restore....the agent is not dependent on the Netware client, so it doesn't matter. you must restore to a novell server with the nwagent loaded.

I have the exact same problem. What about if I need to restore to a Win 2K server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back