Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware - rcmdsrv problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aralleida

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2001
FR
HI,
I´ve a customer with Novell 5.1 and LegatoNW Client 4.15.
When he is doing a full backup ( 80Gb aprox ) he have and error : " /dev/tcp too many connections". If he does an incremental backup, no problem, backup finish correctly.

Thanks for your advices !!
Toni.

Does the account he uses for backups have a limit on the number of connections? Does he have enough licenses available on the Legato server?

Hello,
I don´t know if this account have limit on the number of session, but if I make an incremental backup, it works fine.

Where I can look this parameter for number of session ??
From Server or from Client side. ??

Thanks for your reply .

Toni

Netware uses a user account for backups, unlike NT and Unix. There should be one in NDS that they use.

Hello,

when you got NetWare 5.1 with SP3 there is a known problem with the connections on the system.
Maybe you have to install the tsa5up7 Patch from Novell
This patch fixes the multi connection problem on Novell 5.1 with SP3.

good luck
Stefan Bartels

ITERGO
stefan.bartels@itergo.com

Two things to consider when backing up Novell clients.
1. Use the new Legato client 4.2 with Novell 5.1
There is also a updates tsa500 and smdr out there
2. Lower your client parallelism to 2 ( default is 4 )

If you want to continue using 4.15 of the Legato client you should get the updated nsrlib.nlm (dated Feb 2001).

-Tom

Can you clarify why you would want to reduce client parallelism? I want my backups to finish faster not slower. Reducing the parallelism woudl increase backup time.

Also, I have not had good experience with Legato releases. (6.1 release didn't include all of the fixes that were in 6.02) 4.2 has only been out a short time and there is no way many of the bugs are known, yet. At least with 4.15 I know most of the workarounds. How can you be so confident that 4.2 will resolve problems? Do you work for Legato? ;-)

No I don't work for the "big one"... but I do consulting for Legato and the input I give is from my hands-on experience. If you are experiencing problems, one avenue is to try reducing the client parallelism to determine if it is a client resource issue. 4.2 is stable and there are a few questions lingering on the restore side. This needs to be investigated more.

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back