Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Push Agent 7.0 Errors E8522 and E8524

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2001
US
Having a problem backing up a specific Netware 5.1 server using Arcserve 2000 Netware Push Agent (v.7.0). Backup was humming along fine for the Netware server without the client agent until I started getting these error messages:

E3406 Unable to read file (file path\file name, EC=REM NOT LIST)

Backups slowed to a crawl after this came up.
On Arcserve support's advice I installed Client Push Agent for Arcserve 2000 on Netware 5.1 server.
Now I am getting these error messages when I try to back up:

E8522 Failed to receive data from the client agent (EC=10054)

E8524 Received unrecognized command from the client agent (EC=1)

The backup job then fails.
Sometimes the backup job fails without any error messages. Typically backs up about 300 megs before stopping...
Anybody seen this one before?

Have you loaded the SMDR and TSA agents on the NetWare server?

SMDR.NLM
TSA500.NLM
TSANDS.NLM (if you are backing up the NDS as well) -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Before you loaded the NWAGENT on the NetWare server did you test any restores of your data? I had the same configuration as you explained in your post backing up a NetWare 5.1 server without the agent installed and we tried restoring data. The data is no good, even though the job reports claim it backed up xxx files and xxx meg bytes. Test a restore of the data. I talked to CA's tech support and they say you have to have the NWAGENT installed on the NetWare servers to backup and restore the data.

We did isolate the issue to the network, the problem either being with one of the fiber cables connecting the Novell server to the backup server or a gigabit card in the Novell server. We disabled the gigabit card that was going to the backup server and enabled a 100baseT card on the server instead and problem went away. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

I was actually able to restore data effectively even before I put the agent on. Were you or are you using the Novell Client Agent on the backup server? That will definitely stop you from restoring effectively. I ran into that before...

Hi guys,

I saw this trouble.

I used the SP4 for ArcServe 2000 and client agent and I solved it.

See U,
CEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back