Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerhill

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Probably a really basic question with a simple answer, but I cant figure it out and could use some help.

Have a Netware 5 server, want to add a HP Deskjet 832C Printer (connected directly to the server). Installed the NDPS Broker with Server installation. Created a NDPS manager, and am attempting to create a printer agent for my printer, but I am having the following problems:
1. The printer type is not listed in the "Configure Novell PDS for Printer Agent" Page "Using the Novell Printer Gateway". How do I get it listed there.
2. If I choose the closest match "HP560c" I get the message: Printer Agent just created needs attention. Check details etc...Message Number 925
3. When I go to load the drivers they also are not listed. How can I get them listed?

I know if I can solve these two problems I can probably get my printer working. All assistance is appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Do NOT connect your printer directly to the server. Spend a few bucks on an external HP Jetdirect unit, connect the printer to that, and create the Network printer and queues with the HP Jetadmin CD that comes with the Jetdirect unit.
I have HP1220C's running this way in a couple of offices, and it works fine. Have not connected a printer directly to a server since Netware 2.0a.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us

Fred's right. Get a JetDirect box and use JetAdmin to input an IP address for the printer. Then when you create your printer agent in Netware be sure to use the HP gateway. You then will get a screen that allows you to highlight the IP radio button and you should see the IP address of the JetDirect box. From there you just pick the drivers. If they are not already listed you will have to install them by adding resources on the RMS button which is in the detail of your broker.

Thanks to all three of you for your imput. I will let you know how it turns out.

Mike

One thing to check... some of HP's low-end printers do not work with Jetdirect boxes as they depend on a PC's processor.

Another cool product is Axis Netpilot for Axis print servers. Check out their line of products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back