Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware og IDE cdrom drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

techsupport

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2000
DK
I installed Netware 5 on an IBM PC with Ide Harddrive and an Ide Cdrom drive as secondary master. There were no problems installing Netware 5 from the cdrom drive. After installation, I wanted to install NW5SP4. Si I loaded CDROM.NLM and my cdrom was loaded as a volume. I could see the loaded volumes by typing volumes at the server console. Now I tried to install NW5SP4 through NWCONFIG, but the program just went cold. It looks like its trying to read the cdrom but it cannot. I tried another cdrom drive but it copies 14% of the files and then it goes cold again. I tried another cdrom media, but the same problem. I tried to copy from the cdrom volume to sys volume, guess what? Yes, the same problem. I tried copying the cdrom from a workstation to the sys volume. No problem.<br>
Does anyone know whether Netware has a problem with Ide cdrom drives?<br>
<br>
Thanks

Are you sure that you are not loading any DOS-related CD-ROM device drivers before when the server boots? I would check the config.sys and autoexec.bat files for any CD-ROM drivers and remove them if they are there.

I have nothing in my config.sys and the only thing my autoexec.bat executes is the server.exe.<br>
<br>
<br>

You will have to increase the server memory[RAM],and check for enough free space in the sys: volume

I've never installed a SP from a CD, my preference has always been the Internet download. But let's try some debugging techniques. Maybe there is actually something wrong with the CD or maybe something wrong with your CD player, etc. <br><br>I guess I would first make space on one of your server volumes and do a Windows copy from the CD to that space. Then try to do the SP install using the data from the server volume. If this works, then we can suspect a problem with your CD player on the server. If it doesn't, maybe a problem with the data on the CD. <br><br>No, I don't &quot;suspect&quot; a problem with the Novell IDE drivers but one can never tell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back