Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Client ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dball63

MIS
Jan 31, 2001
US
I see I get to post first here.
A few weeks ago I tested a beta of XP and thought it was pretty cool but I was unable to get a Netware client 4.8 to install. I don't remember the exact error message but it said something about setup.dll not having administrative permission or something. As I would love to test out the new OS but if I can't get Netware client to work as our network is heavy Novell and I need the Netware tools to do my work I had to hose it for now.
Any body else tried this with success???

No, in many cases you can't. I have seen your posts in reference to the Novell stance on Windows XP at this time in both this and another Novell related post in this forum. However, most people who do currently have computers setup with pre-release versions of Windows XP have them for testing purposes. I have found it to be fairly stable and robust for a Release Candidate and would like to further my testing which would require doing my day-to-day tasks on my Windows XP. In order to do this I need complete access to my network, however the primitive version of the Novell client that all the Windows platforms have shipped with since Windows 95 is stuck in the days of Bindery does not fully implement NDS. That means that my network shares are not properly mapped, my printers don't always work properly, I lose some of my ability to Administrator my NDS Tree, and I lose all advanced functionality available through ZEN Works. I understand the rational of holding off until there is an officially supported solution, however I am an engineer in a fairly large domain and Windows XP will make it into my environment by the end of next month. It's up to me whether I do it or whether some of my advanced users will setup their own rouge boxes. I choose to be prepared.

I understand completely - we're in the same boat here - but I suspect there are other casual users that may be able to avoid the trouble.

I'm surprised you would want to administer your production NDS environment with this setup though! Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

I wouldn't administer any of my production items through a test box, however I do have a Novell box on my test bench we I may try to administer with XP to see the results and/or consequences of doing so. I would agree with you that this should not be done by casual users.

The fully supported XP client for XP will be v4.82 in the early Novemeber timeframe - this is just an interim/bugfix release.

From the readme "This client is not supported on Windows ME, Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional". Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

XP has a built in service you can add. It will disable the "user switching" feature though. It will give you the option to set context or server and will run login scripts.

If you leave it for a while (probably more than 10 minutes) it will (should) eventually finish.

I haven't been able to find the Microsoft Client for Netware in XP. When I try to install the client, it says "Windows was unable to find any drivers". Where is the Microsoft Client for Netware in XP? Thanks.

Today i saw a beta version of the novell client for XP. It should be online since 25th of october but it has a broken link. Maybe next week i hope.

Regards,

a technical consultant

If this is XP home then it wont connect to Novell. XP home I believe only supports an MS peer to peer. Any thoughts? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

The client seems to work fine - not too slow when browsing the network. However it does seem to drop off the network regularly. I don't have a pattern yet.

Is there any way to get a windows xp to logon to novell 5.0? i just upgraded to xp home.. im pleased with it, but hate the fact that doesnt come with a novell client.
thanks..
Andre
A+, CNA, CNE

The official release should be out this Thursday. 11/08/01

Does anyone know the full release date of the XP Client for Novell, beta works but just curious when the full release was going to be, thanks.

there is a beta of an XP client on the website. Do to their download centre.

Andrew

i used the beta version of novell client for winxp professional but i still got the hangups when using windows explorer. Anybody know how to get around this problem?

monty

havbing installed the Beta Client, I now have problems with TCP/Ip on dialup. I get an error that no PPP connectection can be made. This only happened once the client was installed.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back