Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Client ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dball63

MIS
Jan 31, 2001
US
I see I get to post first here.
A few weeks ago I tested a beta of XP and thought it was pretty cool but I was unable to get a Netware client 4.8 to install. I don't remember the exact error message but it said something about setup.dll not having administrative permission or something. As I would love to test out the new OS but if I can't get Netware client to work as our network is heavy Novell and I need the Netware tools to do my work I had to hose it for now.
Any body else tried this with success???

TheFinder:
Isn't Whistler the code name for the XP Beta?

dball63:
My suggestion is try running Filemon, to see where the permissions problem lies. You may find that a simple tweak will fix it.

Hope this helps.

I'm not familiar with filemon, what exactly is it?

It tracks EVERY file that is opened or accessed over a period of time. That period of time is from the minute you start it logging to the moment you stop it.

On a very busy system, it can create multi-megabyte log files in seconds - and impede performance. You have been
warned!

That said, I find it an indespensible problem-solving tool.

Good Luck!

After some manual pointing to files during the setup, I was able to get Client 4.8 to install and was able to connect to the server. However, when I go to browse the server drives using the "+" & "-" to navigate all goes well - once on click on a folder to open its contents the XP PC hangs and I get an explorer.exe not responding error. I have not yet found a fix on the Novell forum yet but others are asking as well.

To get the client to install, don't run the setup program but choose add new client in the network connections screen and point to the NWW2K.INF file in either of the following paths in this order:

Novell/english/winnt/i386
or
novell/english/winnt/i386/nls/english

Please let me know if you have the same results - Thanks

That's good stuff. Thanks for the info.
Which Novell Forum are people using for XP problems. Clients??

The Novell forum I saw it listed under was:

- Forums -> operating systems -> client -> NT/2K client forum

Nothing new listed as of this morning.

Let's keep each other posted if we see something!

Thanks

Novell recommended instal 4.8 client on XP without setup by have disk options of add client.
BUT!! I install client this way and it isn`t working.

I'm not doing anymore network testing w/ XP because somebody on our network flooded a swithch possibly when they brought up a copy of XP on a production network.
Just an FYI.

I was able to install the client following the instructions on the Novell forum. But I am having he same problems trying to use Windows Explorer on network drives. Fortunately I am dual-booting with W2K so I can still work but I would like to use XP for testing purposes. Prior to installing the client it seemed faster but until I can get this problem resolved I am dead in the water.

Any help would be appreciated.

EJ

XP is very bad. Get rid of that stupid GUI and make a OS for a power user instead of an end user! Oh yeah I am Beta testing this OS and I to cannont set up a Novell Client. Says it is not compatiable? Any one know if Novell is even working on this problem?

I have scoured Novell's support site, and have not found anything about this client other than the install trick listed above. I don't think they are working on it which is a shame considering the OS is due to be released in about four months. I have noticed that if you chose workstation only it doesn't jack up explorer.exe. but this does not help test the darn thing.

pokman2000

I don't know if this means anything, but I found a difference between the registries of Windows XP and Windows 2000 when the client is installed on both workstations. After logging in as the administrator on both machines, I found the following difference in their registries:

Windows 2000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Graphical Login; This folder contains three folders, CleanSearchPath, NWLGE, and Variables.

Windows XP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Graphical Login; This folder contains only two folders, NWLGE and Variables.

I'm still exploring what this means, so if anyone knows, feel free to respond.

Happily got Client 4.8 to install under XP (adding client rather than using the install package) - however it is really lame. The speed issues are unacceptable - login issues, it seems to stumble on the login script.

When the client is uninstalled and CSNW is used, the speed issues go away (and becomes quite good) however mapping to printers is now non-functional! The add printer option cannot see the netware network. A catch 22 really.

Again, haven't found any developments on Novells site.

You need to go to network properties and choose add client and then select the place where you have the client files,. (c:\novell\nls) and it will install it Do not run setup.exe

If you install the client using the above method then rename the following file you should find that everything should then work. This was a known error with windows 2000 and the 4.7 and 4.80 clients. The following is a workaround from novell. I have used this on my 2000 machine and now my windows XP machine.

Rename the NWWS2NDS.DLL file found in

c:\winnt\system32\netware

to NWWS2NDS.BAK

Restart your machine and evrything will be fine.

Support Engineer
IMASS

Okay, so I have followed all the instructions here. Installed the 4.8 client via Have Disk, removed the NWWS2NDS.bak, and now I can logon locally but if I try to login to Novell the computer reboots. Has anyone seen this? Thanks

Folks, per Novell isn't going to support ANY previous version of the client (typical). Instead of making a mess out of your machines or forcing the client in/out with unacceptable performance, are you able to use Microsoft's Client Services for NetWare instead (until the new client is available)? Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back