Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netware 8 gig barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmic

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
CA
K, it's been a hellish night trying to upgrade a netware 3.12 servers hardware. New everything, drives, mainboard, nic etc.

The dimwit who loaded the server 8 years ago for sure didn't know what he was doing. Theres a boot partition on the SYS drive and another on VOL1. Found out the hard way that VOL1 is the boot drive. Grrr. The original VOL1 IDE drive died this morning and the original SCSI SYS drive is full of bad sectors. Ghosted the pair without too many problems.

Anyhow, i'm running 3 40 gig IDE drives now. Going to leave the SYS drive alone at 1 gig (scared to touch it at this point). I've created a VOL3 on a new hard drive but netware will only create an 8 gig partition, not the full 40.
Any ideas on what I can do here?

Thanks.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

nevermind, I got it now

Driver used:
load ideata.ham port=1f0 int=e
autodetects and loads both drives.

no I haven't. created 40 gig partition within windows and load with the novell server as a blank drive.
Boot the server with the drive.
remove the "other partition" from within the install.nlm disk options. Create new partition from within novell and it grabs the entire 40 gig drive. create volumes and mount.
Tried creating a netware partition with a blank hard drive but it would only create the 8 gig partition.

Any issues with the way I did it? or are you planning on trying the same?

Thanks.

Thanks,

I just want to know how u solved the problem. Since I am planning to upgrade my server.

Durai.

At one point in time, 8GB was the Netware limit. If you had a disk larger than that, you had to create several different partitions to use all the space. I think Novell put out a patch for it, though.

Iolair MacWalter

actually from what I understand, netware 3.12 will only support one partition per drive. You can create multiple volumes on that one partition but that's about it.

Yes, that's right - I forgot that it's one partition, but multiple volumes. See what you can forget when you're in IT?

Iolair MacWalter

Hi. I understand the frustration. I had this problem at one time with my 3.12 servers. Be sure your CMOS/BIOS will handle and is seeing the drive as it original 40GB size. Some CMOS configs will barrier at 36.6GB or so. Loading a current version of ideata.ham was recommended to me.(I couldnt find the file at first) My 3.12 was only showing the size misreported. When I looked at the size from a workstation the size was correct. I never had to load the ideata.ham file after all.

Keith Allen
President/C.E.O.
Plano Computer Company
keith@planocomputer.com

ideata.ham from NetWare 4.11SP9 can handle disks above 8GB.
But for the current, and UDMA capable driver, visit:
where you can read an extra story, and get some tips too.
By the way, a 40GB HDD should mirror in 50 minutes or less,
at least for me.

Cheers, Gabor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back