Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj92713696

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
US
What do you think of Novell at this point? Do you think eDirectory will save the company realistically?

Hmmm...... I've always thought very highly of Novell's ability to put out a quality product, I can't say the same about their ability to market that product. I thought they were making a fairly good comeback in the last 2 years with ZEN, ICS, and a few of the other platform independent apps, but I'm not quite sure what has happened in the last couple of months. I hope they get things turned around and going in the right direction. I still like their products, but they sure don't make it easy to sell against the marketing machine of Microsoft. I find it hard to always have to defend their products and their company. I hope this made sense, as you can probably gather, I am just disappointed in their marketing efforts.

-Mike
Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

I'm a Netware 4.11, & 5 CNE so I can honestly say I like Novell and their product base. I've concentrated in a different area the last 8 months away from Novell and I've seen their shares slip quite a bit since then. I'm a little concerned w/Netware 6 since it's not really anything different than Netware 5 (w/a few add-ons)

Went to the Netware 6 Demo yesterday, and despite all the obvious hype, NW6 looks a massive improvement on 5.1 (for me and my users - Ifolder and Iprint are going to revolutionise our business (if they are as reliable as the over enthusiastic demonstrator told me yesterday!!)

That's great to hear. I've been playing with the demo for a few weels, and type "cd\" ENTER
type "purge /a" ENTER
I'm very impressed. Even more so than I was from 4.x to 5.x, which as we know was a major improvement in itself. I just hope the community rallies behind Novell and that I won't have to try and defend it in shops that have always been Novell.

-Mike Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

the other think that stuck in my mind was Single Sign-on - They'd estimated that the average user spends 44 hours a year logging onto their computer, which taking away weekends, bank holidays etc is about 12 minutes a day unproductive time. Single Sign on eliminates that so you get an extra working week out of each staff member - certain managers round me had to be revived and spent the afternoon trying to work out how much their company had actually wasted on such a simple thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back