Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6 sp3 Backup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzoobronco

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2003
US
Having trouble backing up my netware 6 sp3 server. I am using Veritas Backup exec for netware 9.0. My server is a DELL PE 2600 with RAID 5, 1 gig of RAM. Using a Benchmark tape drive. Was working fine last week. The backup starts but a few minutes later the Netware debugger comes on. The only things that have changed since last week are: Loaded the edir862sp5 patch and the winsock6b.exe. I checked Novell's knowledgebase but didn't find much. I suspect it has to do with the files I applied.

Any ideas ?

I am new to netware so I apologize if this question seems dumb.

Thanks

If memory serves correctly, there are several patches for BE 9.0. Check and make sure you've applied all patches they've released. You can find them on the veritas support site.

Also need to make sure you have applied all relevant POST-SP3 NetWare patches..These are what I'd recommend, minimally.

NW6NSS3C
TCP607K

Go here for the patches:

When you get that debugger screen, do you have the option of writing to the Abend.log file? You need to let it do that so you can see specifically what module is causing the abend. That would help tremendously.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks for the reply Marvin. I loaded NW6nss3c today and tried it but still no luck. I haven't gotten the TCP patch yet. I also will download the veritas update as well and give that a go.

I'll report back to tell how it went..hopefully good.

thanks again!

No luck on backing up. I put the tcp670 patch on as well as the BE patch. The debugger still keeps coming up!

Could be a hardware issue - I've had a number with Dell servers. Both Dell and Veritas have some diagnostic tools to confirm or eliminate hardware. Look for the Veritas tools up on there site - there is an HCT.NLM (hardware confidence test) you can run.

If the server is still under warranty, call Dell support and they can direct you to the correct diagnostics to download from their FTP site. I did this last week and it was amazingly painless - no long hold times, helpful staff. Ran the diagnostics - it failed - Dell is shipping out a replacement drive.

R.Sobelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back