Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetWare 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearon

MIS
Sep 19, 2003
CA
Has anyone in the list tested or used Netware 6.5 in lab or in the real-world. If so What are your comments?

Thanks

I installed it on a test server. Seems to be stable. I have not put it to and heavy duty tasks however.

I've installed it in a test environment. Very impressive. It has a lot of stuff that you wish they would have included in 6.0 but didn't.

iSCSI is especially cool. and a lot of new capabilities within iManager and other web tools.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Hey,

yeah installed it. Novell stated pretty mcuh that it would not run on anything less then PIII seems to run fine on less. Just a bit slow in startup. However seems like a good OS :)

Regards
Martin

Can you still use DOS clients on a Novell 6.5 network? We are at Netware 5.1 and someone told us not to upgrade to 6.5 because we would not longer be able to run our dos applications. We have a lot of old Clipper applications.

I meant to check email notification so I am adding to this thread so that I can check that box.

I can't think of any reason why the DOS client wouldn't work on 6.5.

There are some things that don't work quite the same, but all you're trying to do is login and map a drive to use Clipper. So there's no reason why you can't contine to do the same.

Furthermore, NetWare 6.5 still has the SYS:LOGIN directory and the LOGIN.EXE file, which is used for DOS logins.

I am Novell novice, but I am trying to upgrade to the Eval Novell 6.5, but having some issues. I current have a test box that has Novell 6.0 with support pack 3.(that I have a ghost image of) When I attempt to upgrade to 6.5 it seems to go fine until the end when it needs to reboot. It starts to come up like it is finishing the install and I get a flashing message that says "Please Wait" and it just sits there. I have let it sit over night.

I was able to take the 6.0 to the Novell Small Boz Eval without any errors.

I dont even know where to begin. I dont have any of the add-ins installed. Just the basic Netware OS, It is used for basic file server testing.

Any suuggestions on where to even begin?

Thanks

Well, you need to try to find out what module it is that is telling you to wait. look at the logger screen or the console screeen, try to determine what the last thing that loaded was, and then troubleshoot from there.

Thanks Marvin, but I am not sure how to do that.

When the computer is booting up I get the Novell splash screen and I can see that is loading the modules, for a few seconds, then I get the blue screen. The box was originally setup by someone else and it boots directly into the gui. I dont have to tell it to load "Server" from the command prompt.

How do I get the logger screen or the console screen?

Thanks

to get the logger screen... from the server, hit CTRL-ESC.. this will give you a list of screens. Its usually #2 on the list. browse through that list and see what errors you get.

the console screen is the command prompt (Server name followed by a colon:)

if you can edit the C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file, edit the SERVER.EXE line and add the -NL parameter. this will prevent the logo screen from loading. Example:

CD C:\NWSERVERSERVER.EXE -NL

A suggested beginning would be to get a good book about Netware. Even the older books, you can get very cheap (NW4, NW5) will have some of the basic stuff Marvin is sharing to get you familar with Netware.

As far as the upgrade, did you tell it to update the drivers when you did the upgrade? Most issues I have heard of going from 6 to 6.5 were driver related. Also, NW6.5 has some pretty different hardware requirements that NW6. Do you have enough machine to run it?

HTH
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back