Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6.5 with Power Edge 400SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPICPA

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
US
Hi, I recently purchased a Dell Power Edge 400SC Server for my small business. According to Dell, they have not tested the Netware software on the server, but they told me that it should work. However, I cannot get Netware to run on the server. When I try to boot the server, it appears to be starting. Then, when the Netware 6.5 graphical screen appears, it just hangs (I'm not sure what you call this screen; it is similar to a screen you would see when windows loads). Interestingly, when I remove the hard drive and use place it in any of my desktop pc's the server loads fine. Does anyone have any idea how to correct this problem? It is a Pentium 4 2.0 GHZ Celeron with 1GB of Ram and an 80GB Hard Drive. Thank you for your assistance.

The problem is in the video driver. I don't remember wher I saw the solution, I think it was on Novell's forum pages, or maybe a TID. I had the same problem with an older Dell with an ATI on board chip. I think I had to boot from floppy and load install GUI with a modified startup file. I hope that helps a little.

I had the same problem loading small business 6.0 on a 400sc. I ended up downloading the 600sc drivers and manually loading them on install. Dells website doesn't list any drivers for Novell on the 400 but do on the 600.

Thank you for your response. However, my video card is pci. It is not motherboard integrated. Is this still effecting it? Thank you.

Thank you boell. Is there any way you can tell me the exact procedure you followed to correct the error? I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

I was getting errors during the install. I would call dell and they should be able to help you load the correct driver.

Please, does anyone have a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back