Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetWare 6.5 SP5 Released 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
FYI..

Service Pack 5 for NetWare 6.5 was released and is now available for download.

I don't recommend anyone installing it yet. SP3 had serious problems and so did SP4 when it first came out.

I am going to download it and install it on a couple of my servers and see what happens. I'm just that way.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks, Marvin. Keep us posted.

Iolair MacWalter

Yes it will be intresting to see what happens.

I will be applying it too (after i have sorted out my SSL problems!!) as have not that much to lose except my own time reinstalling OS's.

So will let you know if anything bad happens to me.

Sure, I'll let you guys be the guinea pig, no problem.[bigsmile]
SP4b seems to be solid for me, I'll need good reason to try SP5.

curious to see if you can install it

sp4 never worked for me unless you did a cold install

I never tried SP4, went from SP2 to SP4a. Interestingly, Novell doesn't even offer SP4 anymore, only SP4a and the SP4b NSS patch.

You can still get SP3, but not vanilla SP4.

Well, here is the status so far. 1 for 2. 50% success rate.

Applied SP5 to 2 servers. Both WERE NW6.5 SP3 prior to installation.

First server - Complete Success. Applied it, rebooted, server came up no problems. All components functioning correctly. This particular server has about 200GB NSS storage as well as iFolder services.

Second server - Crash and Burned. Applied it, rebooted. It trashed my NDS database. Server otherwise came up fine, but NDS wouldn't open with -723 errors. Could not repair it. Could not even try to repair it (abort with -6007 errors). The files required for repair did not exist. Found that the file SYS:_NETWARE\NDS.DB had been deleted. Gone. Nowhere to be found. Luckily I was able to grab a backup copy of this file and put it back in place. Other people might have been screwed. Many of the TIDS that you read about this error give you the pleasant option of removing and reinstalling NDS on the server. This would have sucked since this server is my Master of [root] replica and also my Org CA. It has about 100GB of NSS file storage. All of the file system seems to be okay, and it appears to be working now that NDS is repaired.

RECOMMENDATION.. if you apply SP5, make a backup copy of NDS first. You can do this with various methods, but a very straightforward way is this. Copy all the DS files into a backup directory. The following is a good way to do this at the server console.

Unload DS
Load TOOLBOX -NL (Toolbox should be on your system.)
CD SYS:_NETWARE
PWD (Verify that you are in the SYS:_NETWARE Directory)
MD SYS:\DSBACKUP
COPY *.* SYS:\DSBACKUP\ /S
Load DS

Should you need to recover files, you can pull the files out of there as easy as you put them in. This method keeps the files in their raw format for easy recovery if necessary.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Sorry to hear that it gave you that amount of trouble.

have applied it to my server SP4a and all is running fine no problems anywhere i can see. All programs are running as should be.

I am just about to bring up a new server so will see what happens to that one when i install SP5 on a new install.

Will keep you all posted

Applied to NetWare 6.5 SP3 server with BorderManager 3.8 ir1, there is no problem, very smooth.

have applied SP5 to a new install of 6.5 and all is well

It's always the same...
Legato Networker abends after SP5 in SAVEFS.NLM :(

Waiting for a patch from Legato.

Has anyone same probs?

Cheers

Marc

Ah, legato sucks. Glad to hear that because I have one client that uses it. The last time we patched, our legato installation completely blew up.

Prob with legato is that they are 2-3 years behind in development on the Netware platform.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hi All,

I don't have any problem with SP5 because of the simple fact I can't install it!
When I unpacked it, it had one error, nothing serious I tought.

WRONG!!

Server.exe was missing

Downloaded it again(mozilla)....and again(IE)..... and again from different site.
Stilll the same problem!(I mean if it was readmefr.txt but SERVER.EXE!!) :(

Any ideas???

Regards,
Dampo.

Hi Marvin,

Even with virus checker disabled it has'nt got server.exe in the package!

Dampo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back