Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5 server freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

techsupport

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2000
DK
I am running Netware 5 with support pack 3a installed. Now I want to install support pack 4. Everything goes okay at the start but when the system is copying the file dprwin32.dll from<br>
nw5sp4:\nw5sp4\products\ndps\public\win32\nls\english to<br>
<br>
sys:\public\win32\nls\english it freezes. I cant even down the server. I have to enter debug and then down the server by writing q. <br>
<br>
I can see in the monitor that utilization hops from 1% to 50/60% and then back<br>
to 0% again and again. This happens all the time. <br>
<br>
If I restart the server again then the broker doesnt start up and sometimes the prompt on the server console has [1 or 2 or 3 or 4] in it. DS cannot be loaded and so on.<br>
<br>
Please help me. <br>
<br>
Thanks

Your first step is to bring the server back to its original state - did you back up your SP3a configuration prior to the SP4 install?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, please follow the instructions to undo the SP4 install in the readme file.<br><br>Next, unload any non essential NLMs so as to reduce the load on the server.&nbsp;&nbsp;You do have the minimum required memory and space on both the SYS volume and the C: partition for the SP4 upgrade right?<br><br>If all is fine then reload the SP4 install.<br><br>Also, the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 after the server name are soft abends.&nbsp;&nbsp;Look at the ABEND.LOG to obtain additional details on what exactly is causing the abends.<br><br>From the sound of it, seems like your NDPS printing is affected.&nbsp;&nbsp;You may need to recreate that environment again.<br>&nbsp;

I tried your suggestions. The problem still exists. Then I copied the sp4 from the cdrom to the sys volume and then I installed it. No problem there. I think that Novells IDE CDROM driver is the culprit in this case. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back