Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5 Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerhill

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
GB
This is the first time I have asked anyone for help on this fourm. Please forgive me if my questions seem simple.

As practice for Novell Netware5 CNA Certification, I decided to build a Netware5 server. I am using the three user licence version that comes with "Novell's Guide to Netware5 Networks"

The hardware in this system was relatively simple: Pentium II 233CPU, ABIT BH6 Motherboard, 128 MB PC100 RAM. 2 WD 30GB ATA 100 Hard Drives, PCI Video Card, 10/100 PCI Network Adapter, CD ROM Drive and Floppy.

I successfully installed the OS about 6 months ago and didn't do anything with it. About a month ago I decided I wanted to uninstall my original installation and start over. I did a standard DOS Fdisk and started my re-install. I used Caldera Dr. DOS 7.03 for my Dos OS, just as I had done for my original installation.
I did a standard DOS install with no problems, changed the files to 40, buffers to 30 in Config.sys, changed last drive to Z used MSCDEX.EXE for my CD R0M access, remed out the first line in my config.sys "DEVICE=C:\DRDOS\EMM386.EXE DPMI=OFF FRAME=NONE.Everything seem ready to go.
I inserted my Netware5 cd and typed install. The computer begins "what seems like" the installation, I get a Netware5 logo screen, some scrolling and then the following:
Novell NetWare 5.00 August 27, 1998
"copyright info etc.."
Today's date and time then on the next line..
TEMPORARY:
TEMPORARY:
Then on the next line....
Processor speed info (written in green)
Then another Temporary Prompt.

If I type help, I get alot of help title info. from there if I type: name
I get the message: This server is TEMPORARY and another temporary prompt.

Not allowing me to go any further into the installation. It almost seems as though the computer thinks that netware is already installed.

I though that I had not done a complete uninstall from my previous installation, so I decided to low level format the drive using WD Diagnostics. to wipe it completely. I did this, re-installed the DOS OS just as described above and had the exact same problem and described above.

I am asking one of you Netware5 Sage's to come to my rescue. I have done everything that I can think of to solve this problem on my own with no luck. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

When you did FDISK, did you delete the NON-DOS partition as well? This is where the NetWare partition (and the volumes) is stored. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Yes, I did a complete low level format of the entire disk.

IS there only one disk in the Server, or are there multiple disks? If so, did you have Mirroring setup?

Get yourself a copy of DOS v6.22. I don't trust any other versions of DOS.

Try it again and see if you get the same results. Are you booting off of the CD, or are you booting to DOS, then running the install from a DOS prompt?

Please advise.

Good Luck.

To answer your question, there are two WD 30 Gig drives in the system, they are not set up for disk mirroring, I tried to do the install on both disks (seperately) and had the same problem. Both were absolute clean installs, the slave disks has been wiped clean again and has absolutely nothing on it now. I don't get it? Does Netware write any information directly to the BIOS on a motherboard? It's the only thing I can think of. I will try to load Dos 6.22 tomorrow to see if I have any different results. Thanks for the advice, all of it gladly accepted.
Mike

Could it be a faulty NetWare 5.1 installation CD? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

To answer your question, I have tried two different Netware5 3 user license installation CD's both with the same result. Again I ask, could it be that Netware writes any information directly to a system bios when it is installed? I am planning to reset the bios to default, does anyone think this will help.

All assistance appreciated.

Mike

I've never heard of NetWare writing to the Servers Hardware BIOS. It sounds like somehow, the NetWare-related partitions were not completely removed. As far as resetting the BIOS, go for it... it couldn't hurt! :eek:)

Do you happen to have any extra hard drives that HAVE NOT been used yet. Try installing on those drives and see what happens.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back