Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5 Black screen of death 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirRaizer

Technical User
Feb 29, 2000
US
WE have been trying to install netware 5 on a machine. The install runs fine once we get it to find the drivers. It goes the copy process and as soon as it finishes the file copy a messages appears on the screen. It flashes so fast we can't read it and then the screen goes black. The whole system locks up and we are forced to reboot. We have tried several times and no luck. Any ideas?

Check your video board. I know that some video boards do not follow the VESA2 standards and this may be causing the JAVA GUI to die. As an example the ATI boards will not work. The other option is in the driver section select VGA instead of SUPER VGA and see what happens.<br>

I really don't think a Celeron processor would cause this problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've set up quite a few &quot;small&quot; servers with Celerons with no problems.<br><br>I also has the same &quot;black screen&quot; problem you mentioned.&nbsp;&nbsp;I totally agree with dynamode.&nbsp;&nbsp;Novell directly attributes the problem to ATI video boards.&nbsp;&nbsp;I tried running the ATI VESA driver prior to starting the server, but it proved too flakey.&nbsp;&nbsp;Use standard VGA or change video boards.

AirRazer -<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The previous replies are correct, and here is what they haven't told you. At a certain point, the NW5 install becomes GUI-based! When It goes GUI, and you have an incompatible video card, you're done (BSOD)! Try using a server-class machine which is certified for Novell 5, or if you must use a workstation PC, get something other than ATI for video. once you do have a compatible card, you'll also notice that when Alt-Escaping through the server screens, it takes slightly different key combination to get out of the Java GUI screen. I haven't tried 5.1 - the Java console in 5.0 showed promise, but was so sluggish as to be unuseable on a P-II-300 ALR with 256MB of RAM. The servers and NW5 overall are very nice and have been running well since last August, serving two high-profile offices here - the Mayor and the City Attorney. I wish NDPS were more intuitive to set up and use, but once I got the network printers running, they just run! Without formal instruction, ZENworks is too mysterious for me. Some things you just require you to take a class if you want to use them. <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back