Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5.1 SP8 Hardware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaharoff

MIS
Oct 21, 2002
US
I'm attempting to perform a hardware upgrade from a clone Netware 5.1 SP8 server to a new Compaq ML350 running Netware 5.1 SP8. I have used the NWCONFIG directory backup and restore options and then save local nds information before hardware upgrade. I then copied the $hwdnds.bak folder which contained the 00000000.$hw file to the new server. I shut down the server to be replaced, removed directory services from the new server after changing the new server's name, serverid and IP address to match the original server. At that point I downed the server and brought it back up. I then went into NWCONFIG on the new server, Directory Options, directory backup and restore options, restore local nds information after hardware upgrade. Each time a get an error that states "an error occurred creating the nds files. error description: comparison failed (dsi-5.00-160) twice and then at the end it states "restore of directory services failed, error code -620."

I've used this method many times in the past successfully. Also I can't find didley on the error messages I'm getting. I know the file is good, because I can restore it to the original server and bring it back up.

I presume SYS has definately mounted without errors? Maybe there is corruption of the copy of $HWDNDS.BAK on the target server and it may be worth recopying it again from the source server?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

I presume SYS has definately mounted without errors? Maybe there is corruption of the copy of $HWDNDS.BAK you put onto the target server and it may be worth recopying it again from the source server (even to another location)?

"It's true, its damn true!"

Marvin,

I think you're on to the fix. I'm going to attempt to temporarily downgrade the DS version on the new server to match the existing system. The reason I'm doing that is that the existing server is unstable and unreliable, so I don't want to even down it.

By the way I can downgrade from an 8.x version to an earlier 8.x version by copying over the DS and DSLoader commands, can't I? Any comments.

I have never downgraded NDS.. So I don't know if I can answer that question. A general statement about downgrading, since I don't know what DS versions you have... Novell made a major change in the format of the NDS files from version 7 to version 8. and other changes since then. So it's not just a matter of having the right DS.NLM. The NDS database has to be formatted properly for the DS.NLM version you are running.

You might try a different approach... Check this link, it may be a safer route to take and the DS version difference isn't going to be a huge problem:

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back