Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5.1 remote administration setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coondog

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
How does one connect across the internet, to Netware 5.1 servers using a broadband connection? I know that the servers are setup to do this, because the former admin used to do it. I have seen an option when installing the client software about remote management, or something like that, but I am not sure what else needs to be setup?

To remote control a server over IP you can use the rconj.exe utility. It is normally located in sys:\public\mgmt. On the server you will need to have rconag6.nlm loaded. If loading it the first time it will prompt you to create a password and also prompt you for whatever tcp port number you want to specify. This information will need to be in autoexec.ncf in order to load on startup.

If you are trying to login to a server across the internet you will need its IP address. Install the client on your workstation to use IP. Then edit the nwhost file to include the server's name and IP address so you workstation can "find" it.

The option you have seen in for remote management is to allow that workstation to be controlled remotely. This is a function of Novell's ZENworks software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back