Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5.0 Server hangs at 15% Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doyleg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
US
I am running Netware 5.0 on a Compaq Proliant 4300. I have 4 PIII 400 Mhz processors and a GB of ram. I am getting an intermittant problem where the server hangs at 15% utilization and will not drop below that. I will rise above it however. When the server hangs I lose connectivity on most machines but not all. I also lose the ability to reach the Microsoft PostOffice on all clients. It seems to be some type of TCP/Ip error but I'm not sure of this. The server is up to date on the patches. (6a) The problem startted about 2 months ago and the server may stay up for a week and then it may go down 4 or 5 times a day.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Doyle

Check your network stats. Are you getting dodgy packets or anything strange in there? It might be a faulty network card? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I changed out Nic cards and no good. Today I re-did Service Pack 6 just grasping at straws. For the moment all is well but this problem is very intermittent.

Thanks
Doyle

What is your cache buffers (monitor->system resources)? You want it over 60% to be safe, if it's under 40% you'll almost guarantee crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back