Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5.0 NLM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdamore

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
US
I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to kill/Stop an NLM that is hung, without rebooting my server.

Scott
sdamore@ddrc.com

When you say hung, do you mean the console is hung also? Usually the best way to kill a hung NLM is a reboot unfortunately as it could cause an abend if you try and mess around with it too much. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Yes it is hung at the console. I was able to spawn a new command line, but I also loss that. This is a critical server and was trying to avoid rebooting. Any other suggestions would be great.

Scott

If you have portal services enabled, you could see what you could do from there.

My advice would be to gracefully reboot the server as an unhealthy server abends quite spectacularly sometimes and you risk file corruption if it does. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Some background on hung proceesses in NetWare:

If you freeze the Monitor, it's probably stuck on a critical process, like a file write or directory update. If you can identify the connection, you might get out of it killing the user. Usually you can't.

A hung NLM is likely also in a critical process, and trying to unload it compounds the problem by slaving the console to the hung process...

If the NLM is a service, you *might* want to let it go until you can reboot without an audience. If it's a critical service, like NDPS, SLP stuff, etc, you're going to lose users. Might as well reboot.

If the NLM is related to a storage device, there are soem other alternatives worth trying... SCSI adapters can often be unloaded and resolve a critical process for tape drives and CD-ROMs. Of course, disk drives are critical, reboot if this is the adapter. I use a dedicated adapter for tape drives to help with this. IDE drivers are more trouble than they are worth, get ready for the reboot.

Novell has some limited guidance on this. More than Microsoft.

rick

Thanks for all the info. The process is not a critical process. It is an NLM called bpcd.nlm, it is for my Backup.
I just can not do backups until I solve this problem.

Thanks again
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back