Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 4.11 +, Clipper and Missing records

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJJJB

Programmer
Dec 22, 1999
GB
Using Clipper 5.2e, CA-Tools and approriate _Wait_ libraries. We are suffering problems with records not being written to datafiles.<br>
<br>
The systems worked fine under DOS and 486 PCs but since changing to Pentiums we frequently see records disappear.<br>
<br>
Operations are Fill working file with records - Okay<br>
After human interaction and confirmation write working file to master - this don't work.<br>
<br>
Once the batch of working file records are writen a dbconfirm is issued and often the file is closed. but occasionally records that were in the working file do not appear in the master file.<br>
<br>
Again worked fine on 486 and DOS but horrendously slow, Pentium and DOS quick but error prone.<br>
<br>
Any ideas?<br>
<br>
Thx<br>
<br>
BrianD

Hello,<br>
<br>
Do you use dbcommit() also?<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
Wouter Dijkslag<br>

Sorry Wouter, should have mentioned that, yes a dbcommit() is issued and usually files are closed as this is the end of the transaction.<br>
<br>
We've stood and watched the screens but it never happens then.<br>
<br>
Operator Error/mischief has been ruled out, though it may to have something to do with speed of data entry and screen confirmation?????<br>
<br>
Most of my team are working round the idea of PC caching, but if we turn it off its worse than a 486.<br>
<br>
Oh yeah it's all IBM Badged kit.<br>
<br>
BrianD

Hello,<br>
<br>
I have seen the same problem, and adding extra dbcommit()helped sometime (after every record-change), but what seemed to have solved it for me is using a different linker.<br>
Although I have not tried to link with it, the causeway linker is now in the public domain, maybe you can try that one. Last time I used the Blinker myself<br>
<br>
HTH<br>
Wouter Dijkslaag

Thanks, Wouter<br>
<br>
We'll have a go at Blinker and get back to the forum.<br>
<br>
LL&P<br>
BrianD

Novell 4.11 uses a Turbo FAT table to cache the FAT table. I was having some problems with this FAT table getting corrupted while using Advantage Database server. The technical support people at Extended Systems suggested I download an NLM by the name of TURBODIS.NLM. When load at the server, this NLM disables the Turbo FAT. It corrected my problems and also dropped the utilization percentage on our server dramatically and thus the network throughput increased.

I think it is not depending on used cache, i'v got same problems with Lantastic 6 (dos) and WIn95 .. I tried without any cache or differents caches .. still happends .. i still didn't solve problems, even found any good clue!<br><br>Ivan <A HREF="mailto:mint@zg.tel.hr">mint@zg.tel.hr</A>

Anyone know where to get the TURBODIS.NLM from ?<br>Thanks<br>

what type of indexes does your app use ?
any third-party libraries ?

My serveur is running Windows 2000 and ipx/spx protocol. Can i use the TURBODIS.NLM patch to correct the error 7038 from the ADS server ??

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back