Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 3.2 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinDavid

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a 10 user netware 3.12 server and have brought a un-opened 10 user to 25 user 3.2 upgrade kit.

Will novell still supply a un-lock code for the system1 disk.

Is there a way around this if they dont

Thanks

Justin

You shouldn't need an un-lock code. Typically the System1 disk contains the necessary license files.

Iolair MacWalter

On the system disk there is only one file that you need to copy over to the old system. I believe that file name is system.exe or sys.exe

Its been along time since I worked on these system so you would have to check the file name.

I think the question here is whether the licenses will stack. I dont' know the answer, but I do know that the license is stored in the SERVER.EXE file. So in theory, adding a 25 to a 10 will give you a 25. But I honestly don't know.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I'm not 100% sure but you shouldn't need an unlock code for the new license.
To upgrade the license....
* Rename the original server.exe to server.10 (so you can put it straight back if you need to - no other reason).
* Copy over the server.exe from system disk 1.
* Patch it by &quot;lswap <path>loader.exe <path>server.exe&quot;
(path is usually c:\server.312)
You will then have a 25 user license. Licenses do not stack on NetWare 3.x.

Thanks to everyone.

Its a long time ago i did this but a remember you had to fill a form in and fax it to Novell.

I thought the server.exe had to be un-locked before use.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back