Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETSVC - where do I find this tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockcarsRus

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2003
US
I want to use NETSVC to start and stop remote server services. Were can I find this tool? We are running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Thanks

First, this forum is for Veritas Backup Exec, you should have posted in the Windows 2000 Server forum.

Second, NETSVC is a "command line" command. Go to Start>Run and enter cmd. In the window you should be able to run NETSVC.

If you have other questions about NETSVC, I suggest posting them in the Windows 2000 Server forum or another Windows forum.

-SQLBill

No need to be harsh!! I posted here because I wanted to try and use this command in the advanced tab in BE 8.5 so I could stop a remote service and start it again after the backup finished. Not sure if this would work or not.

Thanks for the kind reply.

Have a great day!

I wasn't trying to be harsh, so please accept my apology.

I'm not positive, but I believe that most on this site would not be aware of Command Prompt commands like NETSVC. That's why I suggested it would be better to post in an appropriate forum. I just happened to recognize the command or I wouldn't have been able to help either.

-SQLBill

Thanks SQLBill..

My Exchange 2000 backup with BE 8.5 has been so slow that it gets stuck about 3/4 of the way done. It was running all night and all day. I discovered that if I stop the Trend scanmail and scanmail e-manager services on the remote Exchange server; that the backup finishes in three hours. This means however that I have to do the backup during the day, stop, then start the services manually. I was looking for a better way of doing this, and Veritas told me that in the job definition you could do it, but did not tell me how to do it? Do you have experience with this?

Thanks for any help

Debbie

I'm more familiar with 8.6, but I do have 9.0. If I find anything on it I'll post it.

-SQLBill

I searched google for the netsvc. I use this to stop the services on a remote computer and then start them up again once the backup completes. I works everytime. Here is the syntax I use:

netsvc "Intuit Master Builder Server" \\jse02 /stop

This stops the service in quotes on the Server JSE02

Just use start instead stop to start the service backup.

Thanks Superbaker and SqlBill, I will give that a try.

Thanks Qdog,

All I have is the W2K advanced server Disk 1,2 and 3. Where do I get the resource kit from?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back