Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netstorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaddett

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
GB
Hi

I am running a netware 6.0 sp3 server and the problem i am having is i cant log onto netstorage.

I get to the netstorage page using dns name rather ip address but when i try to log on after three attemps i get this message "this server could not verify that you are authorised to access the document requested.Either you supplied the wrong creditial(e.g,bad password) or your browser doesnt understand how to supply the credentials required."

I know the user name and password are correct as i use it to log onto ifolder no problem.

This server is still in my test inviroment so i am not coming in from the internet just using small test lan.

thanks in Advance

Kaddett

What happens when you use the IP address of the server to access NetStorage?

Hi

I get the same error as when i use dns names.

When i log on i use username.organisation is this correct.

for example peter.wallington then password.

Thanks in Advance

Kaddett

You should use your distinguished name (ie username.ou.o)

What browser/version are you using?

------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

I am using internet explorer 6 sp1

so you saying i type in examble david.ou.wallington

thanks in advance

kaddett

Hi Again

I have done that now and still i cant log into netstorage.

I have even tried to log in as admin and that also fails any other suggestion

Thanks in Advance

Abbyjnr

I'll give you an example. On my home tree, my tree name is home-tree, my organization object is home, and my user object is in a container called users.

So, my names are:
Fully Distinguished- .cn=bill.ou=users.o=home
Distinguished- bill.users.home

For your NetStorage, you would want to use your distinguished name.

------------
Bill
CNE, CCNA

Thanks bill

On my server which is my new server and still under testing and implimetation my tree name is jacaranda and my organization is abbyeng my there only two users in my server.

I do not have a container called users as yet but will create one as soon as i start creating users .

So i have the original user admin and a user called peter
under my organization unit called abbyeng.

when i tried to log on today after your instructions I typed in peter.abbyeng in the authextir login screen and it won let me log on.

I can log into iFolder,iPrint,Webaccess remote manager no problem only netstorage .

The page comes up with the log in screen and after three attemps it gives me the message i mentioned earlier in this post.

I have tried with a win98 lap top and a winxp pro machine and i get the same error..

hope this helps in finding a solution to my problem as it seems the last of my problems as far as what i am gonna make available to my users for now.

thanks in Advance

Kaddett

Oh. So you're seeing the authtier box, not the normal NetStorage login screen.

I've seen that before....
I'll try to pull the answer out of my archives

------------
Bill
CNE, CCNA

The first thing to check with NetStorage problems is DNS. NetStorage will NOT function without DNS.

Check that you have an entry for the server in DNS, in both the forward & reverse zones.

If not, create them.

Next, check that your server's sys:etc\resolv.cfg has an entry pointing to the DNS server.

These two steps will, hopefully, clear up the problem.

If I think of any other problems I had with NetStorage, I'll let you know.

------------
Bill
CNE, CCNA

I give that a try tomorrow bill.

My dns does seems to work ok cause i get to the pages using dns names rather than ip address but will definetly check it out tomorrow.

I will have to read up on forward and reverse as I set up my dns as per a tid i got from novell so might need help there as well.

Thanks in Advance

Kaddett

I believe that NetStorage really relies on the reverse zone; it knows its name but needs that resolved to its IP address.

One thing that I forgot to mention to you yesterday -- if you used a name other than the server name for web services, you also need forward and reverse zones for that. For example, my home server's actual name is nwfs, but I called my web services 'www' when I set them up.

Also, check your sys:etc\resolv.cfg to ensure that it's pointing to your DNS server(s) for name resolution.

You also might want to read through the NetStorage portion of the How-To that I did in the FAQ section of this forum.

Let me know how it goes

------------
Bill
CNE, CCNA

ok thanks a million

Could you explain a bit about forward and reverse zones.

is the reverse zone the one with IN-ADDR.ARPA

Thanks in Advance

Kaddett

This is the information in my sys:etc\resolv.cfg file

domain wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.uk
nameserver 192.168.113.2

i have called my webservices whsg. so is the information above suffient in my resolv.cfg file.

Also I used your quide to set up my server brilliant quide its the one that got me furthest.

Thanks in Advance

Kaddett

Your resolv.cfg looks fine, as long as that's the server that is hosting your zones (I'll assume that it is).

Using the zone of wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.uk, the fully qualified domain name for your web services will be whsg.wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.uk

In the forward zone (wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.uk), make sure that you have a resource record for whsg

The reverse zone is the IN-ADDR-ARPA zone. You need a resource record for whsg there too.

One really fast way to find out if your name resolution is working is to open a command prompt on a workstation and:
ping whsg (should resolve to the right IP address)

Next, to check the reverse lookup, do a ping -a like this:
ping -a x.x.x.x (in place of the x's, put in the IP address of whsg.... The response you get should resolve to the right host name)

Hope that helps

------------
Bill
CNE, CCNA

Thanks Bill will give that a try in the morning.

thanks again for all the help

Thanks in Advance

Kaddett

Hi Again

I am able to ping whsg and it resolves to ip address and i am able to ping -a and it resolves to whsg.

i have resourse records in forward and reverse zones but still cant log on.

I getting married tomorrow so will only come back to the problem in a weeks time thanks for all the help so far.

Ps Should i try reinstall netstorage?

Also my resource records are under the @ zine is this correct.

Thanks in Advance

Kaddett

Hi Again

I have managed to sort out my netstorage login problem by reinstalling netware 6 sp3 with netware 6 sp2.

now everything working fine.

Thanks again for all the help much appriciated

Thanks in Advance

Kaddett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back