Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetShield for NetWare hangs during Unload

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA5AWP

MIS
May 7, 2002
US
As I write this, I have a NetWare 5.1 server running Netshield 4.50 (scan engine 4.1.40 per NAI's instructions) that has been stuck on the "Netshield is Terminating" screen for the last 4 hours after I pressed F10 to unload it from its console. I have high (76%) utilization on the Netshield server console and Processor 0 of a four processor server. In the past, when this has happened before, NAI techs have advised that this might happen ;/ and to be patient. I have waited as long as 5 hours for it to finally release.

In the meantime, on servers that have thin resources (RAM), I have had user connections bumped off the server. Also, we are still having the "Update failure: renameFileGroup() could not rename SYS:MCAFEE\NETSHLD\SCAN.DAT to SYS:MCAFEE\NETSHLD\SCAN.PRV" error after updating the Filesys.NLM posted by Novell (3-14-02) to fix this problem - which is why I was trying to unload the service to begin with.

HELP!!!

I would update the scan engine there is a netware 4160 engine you can use js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Been There, Done That! I origianally installed the 4.1.60 engine. Had problems with updates being applied (see error message in above post), so I called NAI for help. Their tech had me back-rev to 4.1.40 and suggested that I down the engine every couple of days while they had a pow-wow on the matter (cheesey work-around). Later, they admitted to problems with Novell's Service Pack 3 and their products. Since then, they've worked with Novell to develope a new Filesys.NLM (dated 3-14-2002) that I've applied. Still got problems - What Next?

Have you re-applied the 4.1.60 engine? Or you can try the NetShield for NetWare 4.60 version which just came out.

AVChap

Thanks,

No, that was not the Filesys.NLM that I'm using. Ours is dated 3-14-02, which was the one that they recommended at that time. Have you gone to this one yourself? I've got 46 production servers and don't want to/can't risk disrupting them with a beta anything.

I havent personaly tested it, however the information available on it is based on rename problems updating the dats. well check the site and it specificaly mentions mcafee and netware being the reasons for upgrade anyways. I have talked to others running it, and havnt heard anything bad really. but it resolved a issue they were having where they would have to reload netshield periodocaly. I would try this but really I would try what avchap said also upgrading to netshield 4.6 with 4160 and possibly filesys.nlm if still needed.. js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back