Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscreen25, OS 4.0x, and IMAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow07

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
I have a client that we recently replaced a PIX 520 with a Netscreen25. Now, this has to be noted before I continue: There was NO previous issue with the PIX and IMAP connectivity WHAT-SO-EVER.

They are experiencing an issue with the Netscreen, and the only service that is having a problem is IMAP connectivity. What is happening is that about 30 minutes or so, users will attempt a connection to their mailbox, and there would be a chance for about half of the users to get an error message "Error attempting connection. Connection with the server was reset." The user mailboxes are being hosted by a third-party ISP. We have confirmed that the ISP is NOT the cause of the issue.

Ther is no special configuration on the Netscreen at all.

I have come up with a solution to the problem, but so far Netscreen hasn't answered the $64,000 question: WHY?!?! The resolution: Create a DIP, and then configure NAT on the service along with assigning it to the DIP pool.

Now, the TRUSTED interface is globally NAT'ing traffic to the UNTRUSTED interface, and we are not doing this on a per-service-basis.

Has anyone out there run into a problem like this? Does anyone have ANY explinatino as to why using a DIP fixes this? We are at the point of telling the customer we are going to replace it with a PIX 515e (which is the right solution to begin with), but the SE recommended the Netscreen.

Oh yeah, we have escalated the TAC call to Level 3, and they are all moron's there. They asked for a debug on the fw, we sent it to them, but they are still unable to answer our question.

Sorry for the long-winded post, and for the sence of hostility, but you have to understand that we are getting VERY little help from Netscreen, and our client is getting very impatient.

[mad]

Thanks.

can you let me have your netscreen log number... I have a friend who I believe is one of the "morons" at NetScreen.. I can see if I can get any more info for you

Rob

Thanks. I will post this question there.

It just pisses me off that their TAC center concider's themselves to be the best TAC support on the market. I NEVER get this lousey of support from Cisco whenever I have a PIX issue. (I'm ranting now)

If anyone else has any other suggestions, other than "yeah, their support sucks", or "Yeah, the must be 'morons'", I would be very appreciative.

penauroth - not quite sure what you mean....

shadow - I was offering to look into your case - if you can let me know your log number I should be able to get access to the logs etc to see what was done and maybe answer some of your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back