Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscreen Password reset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkHat

MIS
Jul 11, 2003
CA
Hello to All...

Since our Firewall admin is gone, we don't know the root password of 3 Netscreen5 and one Netscreen10.

The problem is that is old model, they run Software version 2.5.0r2

So the serial number trick does not work?

How can I reset those password... I don't care about the configuration.

To reset a password the box must go back to Netscreen. Don't open the box and fool with the jumpers. I have done this and erased the entire ROM and I had to TFTP the OS. Also, this does not reset the password on the appliance.

Try using the default password username: netscreen password: netscreen

Maybe the previous admin did not change the root credentials. If this does not work you have to send the box back to Netscreen.

Paul

I already tried Netscreen Netscreen without any success....
So I did a PO this morning and bought 3 brand new NS.
This is what I call the easy way! :p

Thank you for your answer! :'(

1. At the login prompt, type the serial number of the device.
2. At the password prompt, type the serial number again.
The following message appears:
!!!! Lost Password Reset !!!! You have initiated a command to reset the device to factory defaults, clearing all
current configuration, keys and settings. Would you like to continue? y/n
3. Press the y key.
The following message appears:
!! Reconfirm Lost Password Reset !! If you continue, the entire configuration of the device will be erased. In
addition, a permanent counter will be incremented to signify that this device has been reset. This is your last
chance to cancel this command. If you proceed, the device will return to factory default configuration, which
is: System IP: 192.168.1.1; username: netscreen; password: netscreen. Would you like to continue? y/n
4. Press the y key to reset the device.

I know this trick, but if your NS OS is bellow 2.6, it doesn't work!
I'm running version 2.5...

I am not sure if this works but you can try it.

1.Use a pin, and push the reset hole and hold for at least four to six seconds. The status LED will blink amber once per second.
2.Wait for the status LED to turn blinking green, then release the pin from the reset hole.
3.Wait one-half to two seconds, and push the reset hole again, and hold for at least four to six seconds.
4.Wait for the status LED to turn red, then eventually will turn blinking green. At this point, you can release the pin from the reset hole.

Otherwise refer to this document.

"However, Asset Recovery is only available on ScreenOS 2.6.1 or higher. If the NetScreen is not running this version, the box needs to be returned to have it reset (for security reasons). "

Like I said before I'm running a version older then 2.6...

But Now I have My answer..... There is no solution! I have to send the box to Netscreen.... But I have three of them...(The old administrator was fire and leaved with all the passwords...)
But I just bought three brand new NS 5GT... and I will send the three old one to the garbage! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back