Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape Messenger 4.79 won't display message body

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoPilot

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
I have used Messenger 4.79 for a long time. Just a few days ago I suddenly started having a problem with it. Some messages display right, but many now come in with a subject line, addressee line and from line. But the body is totally blank. It seems that ASCI text comes through fine. A few messages with HTML coding come through, but it seems that most don't. Has anyone else experienced this problem and how do I resolve it?

I don't know if it will help this particular case, but you might try deleting the summary file for the Inbox (on a PC the file is "Inbox.snm" - on Unix, its called ".Inbox.summary". You should exit Netscape before deleting the file. It will be rebuilt the next time you launch Netscape and open the Inbox. You may lose some formatting (which colums are displayed, sort order, etc.) but no content is lost by deleting these files.

We've seen a number of different symptoms of these summary files becoming corrupt. Deleting them and letting Netscape recreate them usually fixes the symptoms. We've never discovered how or why these files become corrupt but it seems to happen fairly often.

I hope this helps.

Marv

Thanks for taking the time to answer. My son (Computer Science major and programmer) had suggested the same thing, but it didn't correct the problem, which lasted for over 2 weeks. Then just as suddenly as it started it corrected itself, which makes me wonder if it wasn't a server problem with Netzero--my email provider. Since then I've heard of a few other Netzero users having the same problem.

I am having a similar problem with Netscape 7.1 Messenger. Messenger comes up and lists the subject lines and in the box below the body of the selected msg. Except for some messages. I can click on msgs above or below and the bottom box will show the appropriate msg body. Click on the 'troublesome' msg and the title bar will reflect the subject line but the bottom box still shows the body of the last msg viewed. The msg is available for viewing if I go thru the Netscape Mail website. And it displays just fine.

There are occasionally more than 1 msg that become "troublesome". It is not the position on the list. I can view msgs above or below and delete the viewable msg and try and go back to the "troublesome" one without success. The "troublesome" msg subject line stays bold indicating that it has not been read.

I looked for the Inbox.snm file but could not find one. I looked for *.snm and could not find any.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back