Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape Messaging Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezterry

Technical User
Dec 14, 2003
DE
I have a Solaris server running Netscape Messaging 4.01. My problem is that users using Outlook 2000 or Outlook XP cannot authenticate when not within our network. I am using the antirelay.so pluggin and have is set to allow authenticated users and users within our domain.

It works great with Netscape Messenger 4.7 and 7.0; however, Outlook users can't authenticate.

I know that performing an upgrade to at least Netscape Messaging 4.15 may solve the problem since I have other servers with that configuration and they are fine. However, management will not given me the go-ahead to perform a major update on the server.

I snooped the packets that were sent by the Outlook client and it seems that it wants to use AUTH LOGIN and the server wants to use AUTH=LOGIN or AUTH PLAIN LOGIN.

Does anyone know of a setting change or configuration that I can perform on the server to allow Outlook clients to authenticate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to go into the server options in outlook (or outlook express) and check the "server requires authentication" under "outgoing mail server" settings. This will make outlook authenticate when sending mail. Netscape does this automatically which is why it works and outlook doesn't.

good luck,

Spinny

I guessed I should of mentioned that I already have the Outlook clients set to authenticate with the SMTP server. I also have tried numerous settings for the authentication. I know I have the Outlook client set right because it works when it authenticates with the Netscape Messaging server 4.15 but not with the 4.01.

As I mentioned above "I snooped the packets that were sent by the Outlook client and it seems that it wants to use AUTH LOGIN and the server wants to use AUTH=LOGIN or AUTH PLAIN LOGIN."

This leads me to belieive that I either have to get the server to accept the authentication the way that Outlook is sending it (AUTH LOGIN) or get Outlook to send the authentication in a way that the Netscape Server 4.01 understands it.

I also snooped the packets being sent to the 4.15 server and it accepts what Outlook sends to it to authenticate; however, with 4.01 Outlook sends the authentication and then the auth fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back