Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape Mail Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyLEG

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
US
I'm trying to send emails to my netscape account.

I'm getting the following error:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 10/20/2003 5:00 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

(MYACCOUNTNAME)@netscape.net on 10/20/2003 5:01 PM
The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
< rly-nc04.mx.aol.com #5.1.1 SMTP; 550 (MYACCOUNTNAME) IS NOT ACCEPTING ANY MAIL>

I have looked to see if there is a setting to block all incoming messages, but have been unsuccessful.

I have multiple Netscape Accounts, I have even tried to send from another netscape accout to this account and I get the error saying the user isn't accepting emails.

How did I activate this feature, better yet, how do I change this back, so that I might receive emails on my account once again.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CL

First, this is not an error from Netscape (the mail client / browser), but from the mail server.

Typically, what error 550 from the SMTP server (your outgoing mail server) means:

550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
[E.g., mailbox not found, no access]

This could mean
a) You're not typing in your email address properly 9that you want to send to).
b) You're trying to relay mail, and your provider will not allow it.

I'll eloborate on b). Let's say you have two ISP's a and b. To send any mail from a, typically these days you must be on a's network (either dialed up, or broadband, or webmail) to send via their accounts. This is a secuirty feature to prevent a majority of spam. There used to be many people (let's say from isp b), that would fake an account on a's network, and attempt to send through a's network to a's customers. a's customers would see an email from someone on their own network, and complain to the abuse department of a's isp. to prevent this from happening, a's network guys and gals, decided that you must be a legitimate user on a's network to use their email. How could they verify this? By having you logged into their network when trying to send email from their company.

-C-

OK, I think I'm following your logic here, but let me reply by this.

This account has been active for sometime on Netscape's system.

I have been able to email out and recieve email from this account until this weekend.

I still have the ability to login and logout of the account.

I ran a test from my office email account and I got the reply above. I have also have tried to send an outgoing email only to get this reply:

&quot;The following problems occured while procession your request. We're sorry, we are unable to send this message at this time. Please try to send your message again (Ref #110)

In addition to sending a test message from my office's outlook account, I have logged in under a seperate netscape account I have, and was able to receive and send messages from that account.

It seems to me that this account has been disabled somehow.

This account is a personal account that gets very little spam emails, and is used only for personal messages.

I have started receiving the same message from Netscape, coincidentally on about the same date. It has still not recovered. I can neither recieve or sed mail. Perhaps its a common Netscape issue.

Have you had this resolved yet?

I can receive emails, but when I go to reply, Ref. #110 pops up. The problem just started this past week. What does ref. #110 fully say? I can't find it to read it. I have to be able to reply to my emails promptly. The problem must be with netscape mail, because it happens on all my replies, not on any individual address. Also, when I go to my mail it says 0 new messages, but when I open it, there is a ton of new messages. This just started happening too. Help! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back