Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape is making me MAD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssnapier

Technical User
Feb 17, 2001
US
I have a page with a table on it, this table has a background. Sitting on top of this table is another table (actually inside it) In IE and Opera it shows up just fine with the background behind everything, but in Netscape (4.7) I get the background on every single cell of the inner table as well as the big background I wanted... here is a link so you can see what I am talking about:
How can I fix this????

Hi,

Yeah, sorry to say theres lots of mistakes. I tried to validate the source code in my editor but it couldn't process it, there was unexpected table tags, etc etc.

Your css code also has some errors
<STYLE TYPE-&quot;type/css&quot;>
<!--
BODY {margin: 0px}
BODY {
background: url(bg.gif);
background-repeat: repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;

}

BODY {background-color: #FFFFFF; text-color: black}
H1 {font-size: 24pt; font-family: arial; color: black}
H2 {font-size: 18pt; font-family: arial; color: black}
H3 {font size:14pt; font-family: arial; color: black}
P {font size:12pt; font-family: arial; color: black}

-->

</STYLE>

change to:
<STYLE TYPE=&quot;type/css&quot;>
<!--
BODY {
background: url(bg.gif) #ffffff;
background-repeat: repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;
color: #000000;
}

H1 {font-size: 24pt; font-family: arial; color: black}
H2 {font-size: 18pt; font-family: arial; color: black}
H3 {font size:14pt; font-family: arial; color: black}
P {font size:12pt; font-family: arial; color: black}

-->
</STYLE>

1.check the CSS syntax!

2.You should specify more than just arial.

3.for your body margin its probably best that you include this in your body tag,

<body topmargin=0 leftmargin=0 marginheight=&quot;0&quot; marginwidth=&quot;0&quot;>

4.Try cleaning up the code a bit, add summary=&quot;&quot; to the table tags, add alt=&quot;&quot; to the image tags, check that all your table tr td tags etc match up.

5.!!You have two TITLE tags in the head!

6. you have <p> in a TR tag, not allowed.

7.you have align=&quot;top&quot;, should be VALIGN

We can check it again then if it doesnt work.

I'll try to check the tables code after if I get time, if u want.

Hope that helps, sorry if it seemed harsh! :))

É
<!--#include file=&quot;profound quotation&quot; -->

Right, apart from the code problems which i havnt looked at personally, the problem with Netscape is that it will try and put a background in every cell..very anoying!

A few quick ways to sort it are as follows:

1) use the body tag and make the background image big enough so that it sits in the right place (very messy)

2) Use layers and position the background:absolute and then the text or whatever over the top of it. Just be careful of resizing the browser. You will have to write code so that the layers shift into the correct places all the time. It can be done as I have had to this on a site before.

Netscape... you have to love it becasue its so good and anoying you!!

Thanks guys... I got lazy and did most of this in Front Page, so I did not check the code very carefully (time issue)

I will correct all that stuff and read through it again, hopefully I can make this work!

Create two table, one in the other.
The first table content on 1 cell with your background.
Put the second table in the cell and add the parameters style=&quot;background-repeat: no-repeat;&quot; and background=&quot;transparent.gif&quot; in markup <TABLE> where transparent.gif is a 1x1 gif with transparent color (you may find in DreamWeaver if i am remember or create it with graphic tool)

example :
<table background=&quot;<your_picture>&quot;>
<tr>
<td><br><br><br>
<table
background=&quot;transparence.gif&quot;
style=&quot;background-repeat: no-repeat;&quot;
>
<tr>
<td>Example</td>
<tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

It's work with IE, Netscape 4.7 & Netscape 6.2
I don't test with netscape 4.0x

Bye.
(I found this forum by chance, I would not return.
Don't reply me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back