Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape Comm 4.* keeps asking for profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I Downloaded a copy of Netscape Communicator 4.7 (for development purpose, I dont much like the browser as it is already)

Whenever I try to start it, it gets me on the New Profile Dialog, and when I'm finished typing in new information, it just gone, never opens the browser, or anything and yet everytime I start it , it just wants me to type in New Profile information, it does save them in a directory but the browser never shows, nor does mail or composer.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Try running programs > netscape communicator> utilities > User Profile Manager and then remove the old profiles you created, create your new profile again using this utility instead of launching the program and having the wizard start. Hopefully after this you should be able to choose your profile from the list when you launch netscape.

This is just a suggestion, hope it helps.

well actually I've done that, what happens is , there are no old profiles, and when you add one through that, it does open netscape, execept, next time you open netscape, the same thing is required, to goto the profile manager (Rather than the one that pops up) still with no old profile, you type in a new name and press OK to just get it opened, netscape wont even save it's preference.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Usually the Development Versions are sort of stripped model with some extra apps to help the developers create Plug-In's, Software, or Hardware. my first guess would be to un-install it and re-install, if that does not work, try getting a new or updated version.

Hope that helps

Enjoy

but I didnt get a development version, I downloaded their normal Communicator 4.76 Base install
Karl
kb244@kb244.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back